Which scan tool should I buy?

C.P.

GBody fan
I have an '87 GN and an '87 TR-powered monte, are there any systems that allow for multiple vehicles?

I own a laptop with XP.

Pros and cons for different tools?

scanmster or powerlogger?

I need to get a scan tool for my 87 T. Should I get the scanmaster, or powerlogger, or both?

Might be better to get the scanmaster first. Unless you plan on try to look at the laptop screen while you drive! :D I ran with a scanmaster for quite a while when I first bought my car. It wont record anything, but you'll be able to watch what's going on, albeit slower than what you'd get with the logger..

Might be better to get the scanmaster first. Unless you plan on try to look at the laptop screen while you drive! :D I ran with a scanmaster for quite a while when I first bought my car. It wont record anything, but you'll be able to watch what's going on, albeit slower than what you'd get with the logger..

With the upgrade chip for the scanmaster that currently comes with the powerlogger, it is refreshed much quicker.

At least that is what I expect that is supposed to happen. Hopefully we can have someone chime in to better explain.

Mike

It does, as it no longer gets the data from the ALDL port, rather direct from the ECM... I dont know if you buy a SM, if it comes that way or with 2.1 chip and you upgrade when you get the PL

It does, as it no longer gets the data from the ALDL port, rather direct from the ECM... I dont know if you buy a SM, if it comes that way or with 2.1 chip and you upgrade when you get the PL

There is a chip upgrade when you get a PL, but do we connect differently is my question.

Also, we lose the ability to see malfunction codes - I understand at least. Is that because we are not using the ALDL signal and do actually connect to the computer?

Mike

When running a PowerLogger, the Scanmaster data wire connects to the PowerLogger Analog I/O board.

Update rate is 5 frames / sec for all data.

You get all the standard data, including pulsewidth, spark advance, and malfunction codes.

you also get the analog input data, wideband O2, MAP, Boost, EGT if you want

The Scanmaster update chip is included with the PowerLogger. The Scanmaster must be the later model 2.1, which means approximately 8 years old or newer.

Bob

Thanks Bob for the reply. But I heard from somewhere that you loose the malfunction codes with some sort of upgrade. Is that true with some sort of upgrade, or just a mis-perception?

Mike

Maybe you are thinking of the fast update code in the TT chips ? I think Eric told me way back when if I wanted that feature I'd lose the MAL feature on the scanmaster....

I just ordered a scanmaster from full throttle. $225 or so with the current special!!

Good deal!! Excellent place to start.. Now start putting your pennies away for the PowerLogger from TurboBob and Mike !!!!! :D

Maybe you are thinking of the fast update code in the TT chips ? I think Eric told me way back when if I wanted that feature I'd lose the MAL feature on the scanmaster....

That may very well be exactly what I am thinking about.

Way to go CP... I got me one a few weeks ago. I just could not find one here used, as if it were to come up for sale, it was gone in minutes. Same with translators... I am looking to get a powerlogger on order this week with the sale going on. I am looking to go that route, so I may as well bite now while I can save a few bucks...

Mike