Which oil is best?

I completely understand with higher than stock spring rates and more aggresive FT performance grinds but close to stock springs/grinds are fine.

I completely understand with higher than stock spring rates and more aggresive FT performance grinds but close to stock springs/grinds are fine.

Who told you that. A flat tapet needs zddp. The spring dose not matter the only cam that dose not need zddp is a roller. Do some research before you give out bad info to people that may want to preserve their cars.

got to beat the horse agani and again

Just bought ZDDP, anyone mix 3 qts synthetic and 3 qts valv vr1 ??

Joe Gibbs

ive not seen it mentioned here before but my engine builder told me about it after visiting a seminar and it seems like good oil, I ran the BR and now run the oil. I believe its fairly new

Joe Gibbs Racing Oil 10w 30...contains the good stuff and synthetic

and for breaking in a new engine

Joe Gibbs BR

Oil

I use Mobil 1 but I am considering switching over to standard 10W-30 unless there's a good reason i should stick with synthetic.

IF YOU HAVE SYNTHETIC NOW I HEARD THAT YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO NON SYNTHETIC OIL MAKE SURE OF THIS BEFORE YOU SWITCH OVER.

Just clocked 90,000 a few days ago. I use Lucas Oil with some of their synthetic additive, might try that ZDDP next time....

IF YOU HAVE SYNTHETIC NOW I HEARD THAT YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO NON SYNTHETIC OIL MAKE SURE OF THIS BEFORE YOU SWITCH OVER.

No that was back when synthetic oil first came about, it used to swell seals a bit. You can switch from non to synthetic now with no problem, the formulas have changed and that problem shouldn't exist.

I've always used Mobil 1 full syn 5w30..10w30 if I can find it..seems like extra protection on these motors with different tolerances and hot running temps..

What are you saying about roller setups though? If I understand right you're saying that on non roller you need the additive and nothing special about if you are running a roller setup..curious about this.

I have roller cam and rockers.

You guys that are using DELO 400 better be sure that it is not the LE version
, in this part of the country and I bet yours also, Chevron is only selling LE in qts. and Gal. you can only get the old 400 in bulk only, and that means no Qts. or Gal., unless there is still some stockpiled buy these large auto chains
like Autozone, Schucks, Etc. So as of now there are two DELO 400's, the old 400 and the new LE stuff. You can also get the LE in bulk if you do want it also.

Ron

The 400 LE has the higher zinc and lower detergents which is better for our gasoline applications.

10w-30 mobil 1 w/zzdp..i also use mobil 1 oil filter(1-201) from a 99 GMC jimmy, the 4.2 i believe. It gives you more oil capacity by about a little more than half a quart.

I use Mobil 1 but I am considering switching over to standard 10W-30 unless there's a good reason i should stick with synthetic.

Switch. Now.

I ran Mobil 1 for several years, then a couple of years ago I started getting my oil analyzed by a lab at each change. The samples kept coming back with really high lead levels. The lab said it could be due to use of leaded gas, and I had run a few tanks of it early on, but after two whole change cycles with zero leaded gas run through the car, my lead content hadn't dropped, indicating abnormal bearing wear.

I switched to Royal Purple 10w40, which is advertised as having enough ZDDP for a non-roller engine. Lead content dropped dramatically in the very next sample.

I've also found through reading up on where to get the proper oil for a BMW I just bought that Mobil 1's 30 weight is very thin, almost at the bottom limit to be called a 30 weight oil.

Mobil 1 is still very good oil, I'm running the 0w-40 Euro formula in my BMW, but I'm not going to run it in my Buick anymore.

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 in my GN for the last 17 yrs. although I now add the zddp with oil changes.

Would the same results come from a roller motor as well, you think?

Probably.

turbojd said:
I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 in my GN for the last 17 yrs. although I now add the zddp with oil changes.

And for most of those years, Mobil 1 was fine. It's only in the last five or so the formulation has changed. That's why I started having my oil analyzed. It's the only way to know what's going on inside the engine without pulling it and taking it apart.

I think the current Mobil 1 10w30 is just too thin for these engines.

Yes, do a search, you WILL find 9000 different opinions lol.
Though, some of them are fact. You'll soon see why after your 4 weeks worth of reading.
Royal purple? Not worth the price. You're not getting any more protection over any other good quality oil.
Amsoil? Enough zinc? I'm not soo sure about that. That's what I used to run. (but after their price hike, and talking at length with Mr. Clark on here, I finally seen the light)
Running diesel oil for the anti wear/scuff properties? Myth. It's no better.
Changing your oil under 3000 miles to help with protection? Myth. That's crap. There's NO need to do that WHATsoever. That used to be helpful with the wear prevention 10 years ago. NOT so anymore. You're wasting time, and oil.
Genuine racing oil? NOT good for street use. DO NOT use that crap. It's made for racing only. Meaning, right after the race, the oil gets drained, and replaced. It lacks the additive package our daily drivers need.
Quit with all these high speed gimmicks. There's nothing wrong with any of the better quality dino/synth oils out there now. It's the oil pressure, and oil filter you should be worrying about. If you run a flat tappet, run a bottle of zddp in there, and you'll be fine. If not, you're wasting your money on that 10 dollar a quart stuff.