Which oil filter to use?

Amsoil oil filters

i have been using these on my car and they seem to do well...i don't think they are much higher than a Wix which would be my second choice...Bob

I use and sell these. Made in the US about 5 miles from where I live!:smile:

Attachments

• oilfilter10.jpg
    oilfilter10.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 477
The threads on the biggie adapter are such that most of the filters listed won't actually work, seems like they are too "sharp" if that makes sense, I can't get anything to work on it besides the valvoline and the fram:frown: I try to use the K&N filters on the vette & elky though

All I've ever ran was a PF-52 filter. But then I learned now China is building knock off PF-52's that are known to "come apart" and leave your engine full of filter. I've never heard anything bad about Wix so I thought I'd give their 51036 filter a try.

I am curious as to if it's worth spending $13.99 on a K&N filter....:confused:

All I've ever ran was a PF-52 filter. But then I learned now China is building knock off PF-52's that are known to "come apart" and leave your engine full of filter. I've never heard anything bad about Wix so I thought I'd give their 51036 filter a try.

I am curious as to if it's worth spending $13.99 on a K&N filter....:confused:

K&N makes an oil filter now? I'd need some serious hard data on that. I suspect K&N is going the way of Fram as far as quality. Any time a company starts to get too big the all-mighty dollar rules the world, not quality.

K&N makes an oil filter now? I'd need some serious hard data on that. I suspect K&N is going the way of Fram as far as quality. Any time a company starts to get too big the all-mighty dollar rules the world, not quality.

I don't know if K&N actually makes them, but there are oil filters on the market with the K&N name on them.

From the reading in the filter studies that I've seen, their filters are pretty good quality. Ranking up there with the Mobile 1, may even be made by the same company.

From the reading in the filter studies that I've seen, their filters are pretty good quality. Ranking up there with the Mobile 1, may even be made by the same company.

In fact they ARE Mobile1 filters more specifically both K&N and Mobile1 aremade by Champion labs using their older Performance filter design. K&N adds the little nut on the end.

AC Delco's now are a champion e-core design. The stuff I've read says e-core isn't as strong as the performance filter since the endcaps are fiber and are bonded to the filter element. I've never seen one come apart.

I've switched to WIX too, the filter area is slightly smaller but the filter is constructed better. I did this mostly because my 99 Silverado calls for a fliter with an ADB (not sure why) and the big WIX filter has an ADB (the delco does not). It's easier to just order a case at a time of both filters from one place and be done with it.

I ran K & N oil filters as early as '87 on a Trace built 362 bowtie. Fram filters are about the worst there is, excluding maybe Purolator. High on the list of desirable high-quality oil filters are Baldwin, K & N, Mobil 1, Wix. AC's are not what they used to be, either real or replicas. I have a few PF-52's left, and then I will got to any of the others that I mentioned.

You can also get a filter such as the System1 (there's some other makes out there too) that uses stainless steel mesh as the filtration element. Completely reusable, and makes oil filter inspection painfully easy. Don't have to buy a new filter (or dispose of the old one) every time you want to change your oil. Seems like a better answer to me than buying a case of filters. With the frequency that some guys change their oil, I would think this thing would save them some money within a year or two :)

Cleaning the element does make oil changes take a little longer, but that's no biggie to me - I like inspecting mine for trash and keeping an eye on things. There's several big block buick guys that run these things, not too many turbo guys that I've seen though. I like mine.

If you stick with conventional filters, I think the Biggie adapter and the BBB-sized filters are a great option.

John