Which methanol to use

Krazed86GN

went through the list of places to get methanol around dallas and contacted smiley's racing. Just got the responce stating that they have sunoco and VP both for 3.25 a gallon. Since they both cost the same is there any difference when using either one with alky injection?

went through the list of places to get methanol around dallas and contacted smiley's racing. Just got the responce stating that they have sunoco and VP both for 3.25 a gallon. Since they both cost the same is there any difference when using either one with alky injection?

Get whatever you can from sealed drums and make sure there is no additives. Either will work fine.. as long as they are not contaminated with gasoline or oil.

Typically its available in 5 gallon pails.

HTH

will it hurt any thing if there is lube mixed with the meth. A friend of mine gave me 5 gallons of meth that has lube in it.

If you run anything but pure methanol, you run the risk of prematurely hurting the pump.

This is real easy, you play chemist with the pump.. your results may vary. I dont want to hear ... "My pump failed"... after I told ya so.

The pump will not handle oil in any fashion. The diaphram will react by shrinking and next thing you know.. your leaking from the head... needing a new pump.

I'll use the milk jug analogy.. you cant put gasoline in a milk jug.. even tho its made of plastic.. and gas tanks are made of plastic.. you decide to do so, when the leak happens.. you were warned. Its a chemical pump, not an oil pump. Any oil... you'll see.

Contamination(oil/fuel) is the reason for the majority of every pump failure I have seen the last 4 years. Typically takes about a few weeks.. then the pump starts to leak.

HTH

lol I didn't mean to start all this..just wanted to make sure I didn't put the wrong stuff in when I finally do order the kit here in a week or so.

lol I didn't mean to start all this..just wanted to make sure I didn't put the wrong stuff in when I finally do order the kit here in a week or so.

you didn't start anything ... Julio is just stating facts ....wait till winter hits :eek: :p

I've looked and looked here locally for methanol and I can't find any. Plenty of isopropanol 99.9%, but no meth. Will iso work???

I've looked and looked here locally for methanol and I can't find any. Plenty of isopropanol 99.9%, but no meth. Will iso work???

Go to home depot or loews and get a can of denatured alcohol in the paint department.... worked just fine, just dont drink it :eek:

There's a paint store near my house and they want $12 for a gallon of denatured. That seems a bit steep to me when I see guys in here getting meth for $3 and change. I can get iso for free if I can make it work.

You should update you directions that come with the kit to say that their is to be no lube added to the meth. That would be helpful and probley save a lot of people from contaminating their pumps.