which is the better valve body?

Rocket Power

87 442
86 442
84 H/O

I'm thinking the h/o had the best one. I have to pull one of these to send in for a tranny rebuild. Thanks.

As far as the valve bodies go, no one is better than the other. Any differences are usually minor. The three you have are most likely pretty much identical. All three were used with the 307 Olds motor and 3.73 gears in the rear. Just make sure you use the matching govenor and correct spacer plate.

As far as the valve bodies go, no one is better than the other. Any differences are usually minor. The three you have are most likely pretty much identical. All three were used with the 307 Olds motor and 3.73 gears in the rear. Just make sure you use the matching govenor and correct spacer plate.

Good to know, thanks for the info. The tranny in the 87 has to come out anyways and that is where the rebuilt tranny is going back in. I'l scam it out of that car.:D

The 86/87 442 will have a KZ valvebody, the 84 H/O will have an OZ. The KZ hits 2nd gear softer than the OZ, that's about the only difference I know of the two. There were complaints to Oldsmobile about how the OZ's shifted, when the older people bought an H/O and thought it was "too rough". Hence the reason for the KZ starting in '86. Personally, I never thought the OZ hit hard enough, lol....

Anyways, I would rebuild the OZ.

It doen't make any difference which one you have rebuilt. You will most likely have a shift kit put in so which core you rebuild is not an issue. The OZ intermdiate servo will have to be upgraded to the newer servo. The OZ uses an iron sealing ring on the intermediate servo. The 85' up transmissions use a lip seal which is better. I would recommend you use the servo from a GN or one of the larger aftermarket servos.

It doen't make any difference which one you have rebuilt. You will most likely have a shift kit put in so which core you rebuild is not an issue. The OZ intermdiate servo will have to be upgraded to the newer servo. The OZ uses an iron sealing ring on the intermediate servo. The 85' up transmissions use a lip seal which is better. I would recommend you use the servo from a GN or one of the larger aftermarket servos.

Len Freeman is going to be doing the work, whatever he wants to do is fine by me. I had a super servo in my previous tranny, but that is getting freshend up and sold. I need a stronger unit.

I know I can take the valve body out with it i the car, what about the governor and this spacer plate? The back of the car is on jackstands waiting for my moser diff so I don't want to be jacking it up high enough to get the tranny out the bottom.

I'm sure your tranny guy will put a new spacer plate in your rebuilt trans. It's the plate that goes between the valve body and the case. The govenor is located under a cover with four 13mm bolts at the rear of the transmission just behind the valve body.

I'm sure your tranny guy will put a new spacer plate in your rebuilt trans. It's the plate that goes between the valve body and the case. The govenor is located under a cover with four 13mm bolts at the rear of the transmission just behind the valve body.

This is good news, I can pop that stuff off in no time. Thanks for the info!:cool: