Which is faster 6.6 or 4.9T?

Q: Block changing

.. this might seem a stupid question... knowing that the 301T block is a bit different to the 400 Pontiac ... but .. can you change over the top end of a Turbo assembly.. being heads UP.. onto a later 70's 400 Pontiac block .. or are the heads TOTAL non-interchangeable.?? Do valve chambers not align ?? Distributors are different but again ..is that more the top end related reather then the bottom etc. etc.

the 403 was a awsome motor. had that car when i was a seinor in highschool. that car was stupid fast. :D well at the time i thought it was. that car went 14.7s all day long. i beat the snot out of that car and couldnt kill it. wish i still had it today. :cool:

I didn't mean to imply that it was the engine that was heavier, but the car itself.
As the cars came to the end of the build year, people and dealers tended to order the cars with every possible option!
The 301 engine was actually lighter than any Pontiac motor, but with the turbo, and all the sensors, and computer added (don't forget the heavy T-tops), these cars tended to be the heaviest of the years.
If you get an 1981 NASCAR Turbo Limited Edition Trans Am, that was by far, the heaviest! Has anyone weighed a Recaro seat?
One Recaro weighed more than the entire stock set of seats! I also use to own a Recaro NASCAR Turbo Trans Am.
I keep forgetting that I installed full power Recaros into my Special Edition Turbo Trans Am (which I also modified the body and interior).
There is talk that you may be able to swap 350 heads onto a Turbo 301 motor, but as yet, no one has tried it. That I know of.

Hope this helps,

George :cool:

The Olds 6.6Liter is not a bad engine. Alot of guys pooh-pooh it for the windowed mains but I had mine in a 79T/A and ran 13.4s and whipped quite a few GTOs and Poncho Firebirds. The 403 likes the early SBOs heads. Raises the compression to 9.1 vs. 8! Put a good cam but not too big in it and get 3.42 gears. It will be fine.