which intercooler and injector/chip combo?

1987BuickGrandN

I'm down to the last few pieces of my combo

the intercooler, injectors, and chip

Any suggestions?

I was thinking PTE Stock Location or PTE Front Mount
with 42.5 or 57lb injectors

though red armstrong thinks poorly of the 57lb injectors

Im not looking to mod my ecu.

Do you think my combo will net 500 WHP??

mods to date:
stock 109 block with 70,000k miles
valve springs
MAF Pipe & K&N Filter (just cleaned)
3" TH Downpipe
Dual 3" ATR Stainless Exhaust
red armstrong XP+ fuel pump & hot wire kit
ADJ FPR and FP Gauge
also want engine tie down strap

electronics-
SMC progressive alcohol injection
blitz electronic boost controller (this thing kicks ass!, also works like a scanmaster)
directscan
(thinking about a WB02)

trans -
Performance transmissions deep sump pan w/ drain
High volume pump
New clutches and bands
Welded center diff
Beefed up valve body
9" Art Carr 3200 stall non-lock converter

turbo-
Precision T&E PT61 p-trim

Good Setup so far

Injector 50's-57's will work with translator plus and ls1 maf.
Commander/Extender chip I forget which one.

Stock Location I/C preferably if car is on the street.
Front Mount if car is a track star.

Good Luck you're looking at realistically mid to high 11's.
Steve Chambers

if im looking at going mid 11s then why bother with the PT61 turbo when i could use a TE44 TA49 or a GT32-55 with the same results???

whats the problem with my combo???

i'm looking for low 11s and 500HP

i dont want to take the heads off yet.

There isn't

anything wrong with your combo at all, on good race gas, slicks and tuning.........you got it...but I looked at your question moreso for recommendations not dyno's.

500 hp......hmmm might be pushin it a bit...but it is possible
Good Luck
Steve Chambers

Not to be a jerk, but your not going to hit 500hp at the wheels with a stock motor at a TE-61.

Not being a jerk at all. i can dream cant i? if i cant do it, ill slap on some GN1s with roller rockers and perhaps a roller cam

i still need good intercooler injector and chip suggestions

Sorry about getting off-subject but how do you like the SMC progressive kit? I was thinking of upgrading to the progressive box but can't find anyone who has used it to give me an opinion.

Cotton's Front Mount.
60 PPH
Translator, with Extender, or Extender Extreme.

If you wanna get nuts, add an Alky Kit.
Tune as necessary.

OneLethal87GN:

i cant speak for the advantages over the stock non progressive unit because i've only owned the progressive

it works pretty well, i havent had much time at all to tune with it

Yeah I only had less than 2 weeks to tune mine before the car went down. Now that it's been rebuilt and several parts upgraded I now need to re-tune the thing. In that little time I had I did manage to go from getting knock at 9 psi to no knock at 18 psi. This was with a Kenne-Bell Hot Flash race chip, denatured alcohol and 93 octane.

Since you don't have injectors already it's a no brainer. Get the new 60 lb injectors. They will cover you to the low 10's. No mods to the ECM are necessary.

The intercooler question was answered above. If you are only racing get the front mount. If it is a street car get the stretch stock location IC. The front mount has more lag on the street because of the long pipes and blocks air to the rad on a hot day. With the AC on it can overheat. With stock location it will have less lag and won't block the rad.

A friend of mine has a stock motor with a stock location CAS V4 intercooler and a PT54 and 50 lb MSD injectors. He lightened the car a little with fiberglass. He went 10.81 @ 121 with a 1.49 60 foot. He ran C116 @ 28 lbs. boost with a lockup converter. That works out to about 410 HP at the rear wheels. My guess with a non lockup is that you might get 420 - 430 @ 28lbs boost on C116 if you are lucky. But guessing combos is tricky so who knows it could be more.

HTH

Joe Lubrant at Precision Turbo and I'm sure some others. I've had good results with Joe's chips.