Which Engine Stand??

Rubrburnr

Tried searching but no luck...I looking to put my motor on the stand but which one? 1000lb, 1250lb 2000lb

I also planning to use the same stand for an ls1 motor...

Thanks in advance

I use a 1000lb. stand and it's like the little v-6 isn't even on it. It should be plenty for the Chevy motor too.

I just bought another one. 100lber. It was cheap like $69. It sucks
Check out where the 2 main pieces meet, where the engine rotates. Mine has so much slop in it that the engine is very hard to rotate around.

MacTools > Mac Tools: Product Details
this is the ultimate engine stand.. just turn the crank, and the engine rotates over. spendy- yes- but if you ever do a big block Chevy, you will agree that it's well worth the price. my cousin has one of these, and his 3 year old boy was able to flip over the 402 big block he built for his 66 Chevelle.

Just be sure to get one with a quad base, the tripod is too sketchy and sucks for torquing stuff down. I bought the el cheapo of el cheapo stands and I regretted it immediately even though I don't do much engine work.

I have a summit folding leg. None of the legs lock so I have to stand on the legs or get it braced against my feet to torque stuff in.

Yep, going to be definately getting the four post stand rather than the three. As far as engines, I don't know, I might do an old big block but the heaviest will be around the lt1 engine and a 454 lsX...so far

Hey there Rubrburnr!!
I just bought mine from Harbor Freight. It's not bad.

p.s. I'm the one who bought your roller.

Hey there Rubrburnr!!
I just bought mine from Harbor Freight. It's not bad.

p.s. I'm the one who bought your roller.

You must send pictures...all angles, engine compartment, interior the works...if you have any videos of it, that would be great!!!

I would get a good one ... engines falling when you turn them over are not a pretty site :cool:

I have two stands, a Summit folding engine stand and a Harbor Freight non-folding. Both are quad based. I much prefer the Harbor Freight. It is very heavy duty and you can get the flexplate in while the engine is in the stand. Can't get the flexplate on with the Summit. The only thing I didn't like about both of them is the short pipe for rotating the engine. I went to the hardware store and got a much longer pipe so it's easier to rotate the engine. I can torque down the balancer with no problem.

Attachments

• 04420.gif
    04420.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 151
I have the one pictured by chrisgarret and yes, I also use a longer bar.

Rubrburnr, alas, I haven't done much to it since the transmission puked on me around the middle of the year. I was going through some shakedown runs and the first time I really got into it it pulled very hard in 1st, shifted strong into 2nd and pulled great. Then when 3rd's turn came, it came apart. Limped home and was bummed. Just now got all the parts together. I'll send you some pics when I have some that don't look like a disaster.

Take it easy.

I'll have to get a pic of homemade one at the barn with a steering wheel on the end..its a beast, prolly fire up motor on it

I have a summit folding leg. None of the legs lock so I have to stand on the legs or get it braced against my feet to torque stuff in.

I placed an order the Harbor Freight 2000lb one(the ones from MacTools & Morse are great, if I had more cash I wouldn't have hesitated) , and just learned that is on back order:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!!!