Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Nextel

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

gn85

You've gotta try this!
I'm going to get a cell phone with a family share plan. I've just gone to the mall, heard the sales pitch for the three companies I'm interested in.

I had poor reception with T-mobile last summer, so that's out. I've had Verizon in the past and they did well.

Here's what important to me...

RECEPTION... I go camping sometimes, drive around frequently and also find myself in buildings that like to block signals. I understand that it won't ALWAYS work, but a good strong network signal is important.

SERVICE... Not as important because as long as it works, I don't expect to deal with customer service. I can say T-mobile had good customer service.

MINUTES... I'm not the biggest cell phone talker, and the people I'm going to be talking to are going to be on the family plan. But I do get calls on occasion from others calling me.

OK, here are the three companies I'm considering. Verizon, Cingular and Nextel.

Please give me your input and vote on the poll.

I voted for Nextel because Sprint PCS wasn't an option and Nextel is merging with Sprint PCS.

Over the years I've had both of them, as well as some variation of Cingular (Way back when).

My reception with Sprint in the beginning was awesome. They since got rid of their credit check policy, so several *ahem* low income type people have signed up with Sprint. This hurt reception a bit. Too many people sucking off the towers.

Nextel reception was nothing short of awesome. Combine that with SPCS's network and I think they will be unstoppable.

Customer service wise, Sprint is lousy. Nextel has pretty good service. What'll it be like after they merge? No clue.

Minutes wise, I'm happy with Sprint. They have this plan that changes upon how many minutes you use a month. So given that I have insurance on my phone, use the internet/txt messaging, and use about 300 min a month I think my bill of $40 is fair.

I know you said you weren't looking at SPCS, but because of the merger I think you should go with Nextel. You'll be happy.

I have had sprint for 5 years now. I have traveled from one coast to the other, from the redwoods to Miami, under every kind of condition imaginable.

You do know that sprint and nextel just merged, don't you?

I see you are from Maryland. I worked all through Arlington, Bethesda, DC, Baltimore, Up 265 to Germantown... I think it was 265 anyway... Maybe 95... I was happy everywhere I went - and that was when I first got sprint. I imagine they have come a long way in the last 5 years in that area.

My buddy has Verizon and just got their newest phone. he said it has a "tri mode" that is supposed to get way better signal. At his house he used to get 2-3 bars and now with the new phone, it is at max signal no matter where he goes. Maybe that is something to look into.

Cingular merged with someone recently too - didn't they? Was it AT&T?

My vote is Sprint.

Vic

the wife and loved nextel in jacksonville...but when we moved to pensacola we had to change to nextel partners, basically starting all over....well now our old phones are dieing on us, and we are switching to either verizon or cingular becuase of the specials they have on phones.....

for the most part nextel's CS is great.....sprints is ok.....

we did have a coverage problem in our homes with nextel when we first moved in, but we put in a complaint and our coverage got better....not sure what they did to fix it though....

I love my sprint coverage! Also, noone else can match the plan I share with my friend.

Verizon is #1 around here...lots of complaints about Nextel service...maybe that's because it's mostly rural around here and Verizon is better at building towers in cornfields:)

Thanks for the info and opinions. I seem to have similar experiences to everyone else here.

I've been looking at family share plans and the price on Verizon seems a bit higher then the others (not sure why). Whatever plan I go with, I'll probably sign up tomorrow. It almost sounds like most of the companies are getting better.

Originally posted by Kingsford
I use T-Mobile because they have the best looking spokesperson! :D

Yah, but how is your reception of that spokesperson? More importantly, how's her reception of you?

Originally posted by gn85
Yah, but how is your reception of that spokesperson? More importantly, how's her reception of you?

I've never had a problem with reception since I switched to T-Mobile. I can't say the same for Verizon.

As far as their spokesperson is concerned, I don't know what her reception is of me but my wife says I'm allowed to find out if I get the chance. :D

Originally posted by Kingsford
I've never had a problem with reception since I switched to T-Mobile. I can't say the same for Verizon.

As far as their spokesperson is concerned, I don't know what her reception is of me but my wife says I'm allowed to find out if I get the chance. :D

well, that means T-mobile is out for gn85 !!!!

My experience-
Verizon had terrible reception/dropped calls, customer service, etc. I was told it was my geographical landscape that caused my problems, must be all those mountains in the Chicago suburbs:rolleyes:

Cingular has been great so far. No problem with service, no billing errors, phone's battery is good for 3 days without charge, etc.

Check out customer satisfaction reports in your main area of use. Nextel sucks bad where we are in Sac, and I know Cingular blows in San Fransisco area. I had Cingular in So Cal and it was great along with Sprint. The ratings I have seen showed areas that each carrier does well in and shows which ones aren't up to par.
It is mainly where you are at as to which you use. IMO.

Nextel sucks. Their technology is PROPRIETARY which means the Nextel phone will ONLY work on Nextel systems. If you leave your Nextel area it won't work on competitor's (Verizon, T-Mobil, analog) systems. Verizon is a standard digital cell service and WILL work on compteitor's systems which expands your usable network. Tri-mode phone means it will work on both digital frequency bands designated by the FCC AND analog in rural areas. Again, Nextel works on Nextel band only.

Personally, I prefer Verizon and have traveled the country with complete satisfaction with them. Even in VERY rural areas of upper Michigan near Canada.