Which cam to buy?

Dreamcar86

Ever since I started this engine build it just keeps bringing up more questions on which parts to purchase. I have started looking at cams shafts and cannot figure out which is the best for my setup. Maybe I should start with what I do know. Looking for a hydraulic flat tappet just not sure if I should stick to the tried and proven 208/208 or step up to something a little more aggressive.

The real power in these cars is made in the heads and turbo so why waste money on high dollar cams and rockers when money would be spent in better places? Am I missing something?

BTW - My combo is in my sig.

i would go with a 206/206 if your running stock heads or mild ported heads. if your running a set of max ported or good flowing heads i would go with a 212/212.

I just got done with a complete rebuild and used the 212/212 and so far I love the thing. Car only has 200 miles on it, so no hard on boost pulls. But I can deffinately feel the diffierence went squeezing the throttle. Pulls really hard on just the motor and no idle issues.

Take the time and do a complete port match and polish job on the heads. The 10 to 12 hours are worth it, IMO.

I just got done with a complete rebuild and used the 212/212 and so far I love the thing. Car only has 200 miles on it, so no hard on boost pulls. But I can deffinately feel the diffierence went squeezing the throttle. Pulls really hard on just the motor and no idle issues.

Take the time and do a complete port match and polish job on the heads. The 10 to 12 hours are worth it, IMO.

Same here but i only have 100 miles on mine. 1-2 pound pulls are strong.

Same here but i only have 100 miles on mine. 1-2 pound pulls are strong.

Are the high flowing heads more important than the converter? BTW - what converters are you running?

Are the high flowing heads more important than the converter? BTW - what converters are you running?

high flowing heads are a good choice but a good converter to match the whole setup is needed as well. anyways im running a PTS Billet 9X11 3,000 flash stall converter

The real power in these cars is made in the heads and turbo so why waste money on high dollar cams and rockers when money would be spent in better places?

I mostly agree but if it's in your budget I would do a roller cam just for reliability's sake alone, especially with a fresh rebuild and today's reformulated oils. A 206/206 roller from Full Throttle would be plenty.

You don't need expensive roller rockers either. Stock rockers and heavy duty shafts should be more than adequate.

I mostly agree but if it's in your budget I would do a roller cam just for reliability's sake alone, especially with a fresh rebuild and today's reformulated oils. A 206/206 roller from Full Throttle would be plenty.

You don't need expensive roller rockers either. Stock rockers and heavy duty shafts should be more than adequate.

I did not know that was possible. For some reason I thought that it was mandatory to run roller rockers. I do agree with the poor oil quality today. That has been on my mind.

I am glad you pointed this out. This will actually save a little money being able to use the stock valve covers and the obvious expense of roller rockers. I have been a little troubled thinking about a cam going flat so I will order a roller. No sense doing this twice.

I have been a little troubled thinking about a cam going flat so I will order a roller. No sense doing this twice.

Yeah those were my thoughts as well. I'm also in the middle of an engine rebuild and almost went with a flat tappet to save money but didn't. Some day when my budget allows I will switch to roller rockers but for now HD shafts and stock rockers for me.:smile: