Where to run rubber lines to tranny cooler?

rastaz

aka 80's Rob
I want to install a tranny cooler but after looking at things under the hood I couldn't figure out where I would run the rubber lines. I dont want to cut or drill holes in anything to do it. Can anyone give me any tips on how and where to install this thing?

Thanks

Hello Rob!

I mounted the cooler in the front, on the cross of metal with big electrical straps.....can´t move when you have them all there, think i also had the white plate in the middle moved to reach better.

Then to the hoses, you have to jack up the car....on the passenger side under the car where the black plastic pieces meets in the corner you can stick them through.

Follow?

Good luck!

I mounted mine to the bracing in the nose. There is a brace that runs bottom to top of the radiator opening with a second peice that "v's" out toward the nose of the car. I used sturdy zip ties if memory serves. Mine is an old round tube style cooler I had in the garage, not a moden flat tube design, so I had a lot of places open for ties. I used short pieces of rubber tube split length wise and place over sharp corners to protect various points that could cause problems. To be honest I need to look at it again as I can not recall just how and where I made attachemnts. I tend to be cautious so I know it is secure, just how I can not recall. As for the lines. I made hard lines to join at the factory line and fitting at the top of the rad. The lines come around the radiator and go between the radiator and the radiator support. There were several sharp edges that, combined with my luck, could wear a hole in rubber line at the worse possible time. I join my hard lines to the cooler with very short runs of rubber tranny line (no fittings on the cooler). I have to work on the car tonight so I can snap some dig. pics of the set up if you like.

Brent

I like your idea of making up hard lines to the cooler. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple pics of how you routed the lines and mounted the cooler if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks

I was a little off. I actually used the braces that cross in front of the radiator.
Here are some pics I shot last night:

mount1.jpg

This is from the pass. side. You can just see the hard lines comming from above. You can see that I placed split tubing over any contact points.

mount2.jpg

Drivers side Pic.

line1.jpg

The hard lines from the top. Trans fluid goes into the stock cooler at the bottom and exits at the top. From the top rad. fitting I go down to the second cooler, then back up to rejoin the factory line. I used short pieces of tube between the hard lines as spacers and for support. Once screwed together there is no flopping around. The long piece of tube on the upper line is not a joint, it is there to keep the hard line off the radiator.

Here is the deal. Making the bends is kind of difficult. A decent brake line bender will do it, just practice a few times and expect to waste some line. Untill I got the hang of it I help getting bad flat spots on the peek of the turns. The hardest one was the one on the top line where it goes into the rad. fitting. A tip would be to leave the rad. fiting side long, make the bend, then cut off the excell length. Otherwise the line tends to pull through the bender and fold/flatten at the curve's peek.

Also, very important, get a double flaring kit!!!! They are not that expensive for a non-pro type kit, home mechanic type of kit like mine. If you already have a tube flare you can pick up the fold over dies (sp??) for cheep. Like I said, double flare!! This line is under pressure, given not as much as a brake line, so without a double flare you always run the risk of the hard line splitting at the seem in the flare. If you have any questions just drop me a line at brent@brentg.net.

Brent

If no one noticed, I cann't spell!!!!!!!

>of it I help getting
help, should have been kept

>excell length
excess length

God only knows what else!!

It's a good thing I have a drivers liscense so I know what my name is!

Latter,

brent

Thanks for the detailed procedures. You did a real nice job on that setup. I just finshed making new lines for the lineloc on my GN so I know how tricky it is to get a nice smooth curve.