Where to Get- Turbo Balancer/Flexplate?

V6VegaTex

I've been looking for a new, stock replacement 3.8 Turbo balancer and flexplate-- I don't think I need to spend big $$$ for the level of street performance planned for my engine. Anyone know if they are still available, or am I going to be looking on eBay and the Message Board For Sale listings?

Thanks,
Dave

Well you can use a SFI(84 -87 turbo) balancer if you get in a jam and all turbos more or less use the same flexplate so I dont think you would have that much of a problem. For some unknown reason Buick did use a different balancer for the carb-turbo than they did for the 3.8/4.1 probally because of the extra weight of the pistons. The easy thing would be to have a NA balancer and flexplate balanced with your rotating assembly when you rebuild the short block. This only applys if it is an even fire. I might have a balancer from an 83 Turbo and I'll check tonight to make sure its useable and get back with you. I dont have a flexplate though.

I was wondering if having the rotating assembly balanced with a NA balancer and flexplate would work. That's probab;y what I will do. Thanks!

Dave

Thats what I would do in a pinch. I've layed these parts out and compared them side to side and the only difference is the amount of weight removed to get them to balance out. One tip, look for the solid balancers(no rubber band) from the 82 and newer NAs.

If you have a good one from your '83, I'd be interested. I will e-mail you next week when I get home.

Thanks,
Dave