where is 1.45 on tape measure? Cam sensor.

85typet

where is 1.45 on a tape measurer? i think my cam sensor is off beacouse my car pings and idles higher than usual?

:confused:

Attachments

• camsensorvoltmeter.jpg
    camsensorvoltmeter.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 124
on tape measures that go down to 1/16", it will be just to the left of the line just to the left of the 1 1/2" line.

10454_10152051632310441_1236809089_n.jpg

If your car idles high, IMHO, it isn't because of the cam sensor. You need to verify the IAC counts are correct and the TPS is correct. A vacuum leak will cause IAC counts to drop and idle to go too high.......and usually BLM's will climb too.

Pinging? I don't know if the cam sensor being off just a touch would cause that or not.

FWIW, I take a piece of masking tape..... lay it flat on the table...... make a mark.... then take my calipers..... and measure off 1.45" and make the other mark........ then stick this on the balancer. Obviously if you don't have calipers, you can't do that..... but the tape measure is close enough..... just mark it at 1 - 7/16" ..... just a gnats hair over the 7/16.... and it will be good enough.

FWIW, I take a piece of masking tape..... lay it flat on the table...... make a mark.... then take my calipers..... and measure off 1.45" and make the other mark........ then stick this on the balancer.

x2 - spend a couple bucks on a decent caliper and be done. They are very useful to have around.

Or you can get one of Casper's Cam tool (http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?products_id=653) which is easier and also comes with a tape showing the original "0*" mark and the "25*" mark.
After replacing the timing chain, I used Casper's measurement, then grind the 25* mark. Painted both marks with white paint and then spray it with hi temp clear paint for future reference.

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
ok thanks guys i will be putting up a video on youtube later on beacouse i think i have a couple of codes coming up in my computer.

ok and 1 more little thingy i just changed my car over to an intercooled setup engine harness and all and im still using the 85 computer that came with my car whats the differenve between 84-85 computers and 86-87 computer?s

Before messing with the cam sensor find out if it is the problem:
1. Start car
2. Disconnect the cam sensor.
3. Drive car.
4. Reconnect cam sensor before starting car again.

If it still runs crappy with sensor disconnected the problem is elsewhere.

ok and 1 more little thingy i just changed my car over to an intercooled setup engine harness and all and im still using the 85 computer that came with my car whats the differenve between 84-85 computers and 86-87 computer?s

you need to change to an intercooled computer and a updated chip what maf are you running? it could ping for many reason what fuel are you running? have you verified the timing on chip?
Also try and take the rod on the actuator off the turbo, no boost and take it for a spin see if its pinging or if you have any knock while n/a. Stop driving the car till you figure out the pinging you will blow a HG or worse throw a rod etc...

you need to change to an intercooled computer and a updated chip what maf are you running? it could ping for many reason what fuel are you running? have you verified the timing on chip?
Also try and take the rod on the actuator off the turbo, no boost and take it for a spin see if its pinging or if you have any knock while n/a. Stop driving the car till you figure out the pinging you will blow a HG or worse throw a rod etc...
ok i got ya on the computer . stock maf also.93 fuel.

i got two different style maf from intercooled cars one has plug coming out the bottom and one has plug comming out the side . the one i am currently using it the one that has the plug coming out the side,