Where has all my alky gone?

Timbuick

I've lost half a tank or more after leaving the car a few days. This is the second time. No obvious visual leaks. what shall i look for? The system is less than a year old (Razor's kit).

Try filling it with water. It doesn't evaporate like meth and makes leaks easier to find.

I recently went thru the same thing. Turns out my alky pump was leaking. The weird thing is some days it would leave evidence that it was leaking, and other days not so much. I found it by looking up under at the pump and saw what looked like some seepage. A rebuild of the pump fixed it. :cool:

Not sure if this will help or if you've chceked here but it can't hurt to try.

Ok i'll take close look today. The whole kit has less than a 1,000 miles/1 year of use so unless a connection has worked loose it should not be leaking i'm thinking.

Another thing is you can use washer fluid as it has a dye in it.

Like all things car related.. you let things sit in liquids.. they go bad quicker than using them. Oil picks up moisture, brake fluid picks up moisture, the methanol picks up moisture, tires get flat spots, etc... When you normally put some miles on the car and bring things up to temp the moisture evaps..

Thats the #1 problem buying low mileage cars.. Cars are not wrenches in a tool box. If they have fluids.. those fluids need to be moved around.

Get some methanol contaminated with fuel.. that pump will start to leak in a few weeks. Even if its brand new.

Let us know what you find..

Razor, i'll check as suggested, but I have to say that the car had been in regular use and i'd been using lots of boost and topping up frequently. At that point I thought I was getting through too much. Having left it for longer it there is clearly a problem.
Is there a rebuild kit for the pump? Being over here in the UK I need to plan ahead!

Razor, i'll check as suggested, but I have to say that the car had been in regular use and i'd been using lots of boost and topping up frequently. At that point I thought I was getting through too much. Having left it for longer it there is clearly a problem.
Is there a rebuild kit for the pump? Being over here in the UK I need to plan ahead!

Tim, first lets see where the problem lies.. then make corrective decisions. What type of alcohol are you using?

Pure methanol from a local chemical supplier. I can check the label for the exact details if you like.

Leak Dye

Julio,

What about using a commercially available Leak dye for Cooling systems to trace leaks. Would it harm the pump.

Another option if the cooling system dye is to hard on the pump is windshield washer fluid. The blue dye will be left behind as the fluid evaporates. Found a leak on a friend’s car when we spotted the dried blue dye.

OK guys, here is what I found today.
Put the car on the drive and looked under the pump. Alky is pouring out from the lower part of the pump;the black plastic section.
Razor, you mentioned that alky and gas/petroleum don't mix.
I'm pretty sure I picked up a gallon of gas for a car I was selling. Although i used all the gas it could be that any residue left in the can mixed with the alky and shot the seals. Just being honest.
Is there a a seal kit I can buy to put this right?
Thanks.

OK guys, here is what I found today.
Put the car on the drive and looked under the pump. Alky is pouring out from the lower part of the pump;the black plastic section.
Razor, you mentioned that alky and gas/petroleum don't mix.
I'm pretty sure I picked up a gallon of gas for a car I was selling. Although i used all the gas it could be that any residue left in the can mixed with the alky and shot the seals. Just being honest.
Is there a a seal kit I can buy to put this right?
Thanks.

Contact me through PM or email. Email me at idoxlr8_70@yahoo.com