Where Can Oil Leak From?

Have an oil leak that just started, seems to be right under the lower radiator hose connection to the radiator.. Guess I'll check it out this weekend.

Yup, a recurring problem with mine...

Waiting to here from Turbonetics to see what they are going to do about the billet boost controller that spiked to 29.4 from 22-23 causing my latest HG failure...

Bryan

AFTER Chasing a mystery oil leak that left dime sized spots on my floor after 100 miles on an engine rebuild, I learned it was from the valve covers. It drove me absolutely nuts trying to find it. I called Polzin, pissed off and bitchin because I couldn't find it and thought for sure it was the rear main that didn't seal. He says "check the valve covers at the back of the motor" SUre as sh!t, there it was.

I know the stuff is expensive, but if you are fighting a leak, use RIGHT STUFF. It can hold up to about anything and dries rock hard. I used it on my rear main and it's dry as a bone.

EVERYWHERE!!!! I've been chasing an oil leak in my front cover area for about 2 years now. I can't get it to stop!!!

Looks like you're going to need a bigger turbo to catch it.... but watch out for the cops!!!!:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Usetaboost, where I can I find "Right Stuff?" Does Advance Auto, AutoZone, Pep Boys stock it? Or Napa? Like to know ahead of time....almost everyone here on this forum swears by that stuff, so I want to start swearing, too.....:tongue:

Would like some when I replace the real main oil seal.....(someday,:rolleyes:)

Bruce '87 Grand National

oil leaks

My GN hasn't been leaking oil anywhere! It did take me over 20 years to find and fix them all!!! Some of the places leaking oil that I remember were:

base of oil filter, breathers, compressor and turbine wheel seals, front and rear of intake, front seal, head gasket, intercooler connections, oil cooler fittings, oil cooler lines, oil pan, PCV grommet valve, rear main seal, rear oil galley plugs, rubber washers on breathers, turbo oil feed and drain, up pipe connections, valve cover gasket, wastegate solenoid..............right now the engine is being rebuilt, I suppose I will have to start over...another 20 years...

Usetaboost, where I can I find "Right Stuff?" Does Advance Auto, AutoZone, Pep Boys stock it? Or Napa? Like to know ahead of time....almost everyone here on this forum swears by that stuff, so I want to start swearing, too.....:tongue:

Would like some when I replace the real main oil seal.....(someday,:rolleyes:)

Bruce '87 Grand National

I got mine at a local naparts warehouse that has everything and anything imaginable. If you can't find any you should be able to order it.

Northern Auto Parts: Search Results

It's made by permatex if I remember right. Get a small can unless you are doing a rebuild. Last I knew they had two different sized cans. They must have figured out the stuff works because it went up about 4 bucks a can

Will do....thank you very much for your help...I appreciate it:smile:

Bruce '87 Grand National

best thing to do is call around and see if anyone has it first.

That's a good idea, usetaboost.....I never thought of that.....you'd make someone a good wife.....:tongue::tongue::biggrin:

But thanks, good idea. You're a good guy.:smile: Very helpful you've been here on this board. To me also.
Bruce '87 Grand National

LOL! I'm just not a fan of driving all over the place looking for something when it comes to parts. Takes time out of getting it fixed.

Nowhere.

I have personally seen oil leak from "nowhere" on my GN. Many times. Even today, still.

I think oil sealing gaskets were an afterthought with GM when they designed the turbo 3.8.

Haha, I agree entirely. Every once in a while there'e a spot on my driveway that could only have come from my car, but noone can ever find from where.