Where can I find the VIN on the body of an '87?

bhasmer12

I need to find the VIN that is stamped in the body (not number by the windshield) in order to match it against the VIN on the engine and on the frame. Somebody stole my VIN plate out from behind the windshield.
We were told that they're often "hidden" and sometimes behind the A/C unit. That is not true for this car.
Any help or suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks
Brandyn

I'm going to SWAG it here, but you have the SPID label in the trunk which shows the VIN (that's on the body) and the cowl tag right above the windsheild wiper motor that also has VIN info on it.
Can't recall if the door stickers have VIN info on them or not.
Stickers are stickers.
The cowl tag is also only held on by two removable screws - so it's not difficult to exchange or replace that as well.
Body - wise, that's all that I can recall having VIN IDs.

Perhaps some others have info as well.

Someone stole only your Dash VIN plate?
That's wierd.

I see that you are local to me, was your car parked outside and the tag stolen from there? If so contact the Troop C State Highway Patrol and get this reported. Someone is probably trying to reVIN a stolen car to sell it. You will be able to get a new VIN but the car will never be worth the same as a factory VIN tag. Good luck.

Bryan

Yes - true enough - another re-VIN in progress.

When I said that was "wierd" I meant to say - as in he didn't offer any other details - like my car was broken into and someone stole my VIN plate, or while it was at the shop someone stole my VIN plate; or when I got my car back from the recovery yard - the VIN plate was missing.

Thanks for the help, guys. Just a tad bit late, though. ;) Ended up getting this all taken care of a week or 2 back. The VIN plate was stolen prior to me owning the car. The guy we got it from told us about that prior to purchase. He's in IL, we're in MO. He tried getting this taken care of previously, but never found where the VIN was stamped into the frame. That's because he never lifted the body off the frame.
I believe Gpa did end up taking this to Troop C. Whatever he did, it worked; and I didn't have to switch VIN numbers. I've already gotten the new title back. I just have to take it somewhere to get a new VIN plate put into the door.
I'm not too worried about resale value of this thing. There won't be much "GN" left in it soon. Modified the frame already and getting ready to drop in an Ls and make in the ballpark of 1,300 horse. No plans of reselling it in sight.

There is a vin stamped on top of the frame about 10 inches from body mount bolt just infront of the door.I dont know if they are all stamped in the same spot or not. With body on its real hard to see unless there is no rust. All gm car frames are stamped.

There is a vin stamped on top of the frame about 10 inches from body mount bolt just infront of the door.I dont know if they are all stamped in the same spot or not. With body on its real hard to see unless there is no rust. All gm car frames are stamped.

Correct.