When will someone make some good weatherstripping?

BuickMike

Money pit
I got all my weatherstripping for my T top GN from G Body parts. It's all the aftermarket stuff. The lower door seals are pretty decent, but the T top / upper window seals are complete junk. I knew it wasn't going to be all that great going into it, but I had no other choice since there was nothing else available. That being said I didn't realize that it was going to be completely useless. :( The thickness and firmness of the parts that seal the windows is not even close to consistent. Everything that is at the last 4 inches of each piece is much softer and leaks bad. The part that seals the T tops to the windows is much thicker and harder than the other parts along the pillars and for the life of me I can't get anything to come even close to sealing after countless hours of tinkering. I had no issues getting my old weatherstripping to seal with my new A-1 window regulators. Each window took my 10 minutes. I had to rip out the old stuff when I had my car painted and ruined it since it was so old. I've spent 20+ hours on these and have finally given up. I'm ready to rip it out and light it all on fire. :mad: I'm hoping some day that someone will build a quality set of seals that seals up properly. Until then, I will resort to only driving my car in weather where I can keep the windows down.

i am dreading as my seals are all original. i only drive in dry weather so not super urgent.
are there any alternatives? i dont know who offers.

Does highway stars carry NOS? Or are they aftermarket too?

Highway Stars does not have original. I read awhile back that they were working with a vendor resolve the issues with the aftermarket stuff, but I don't think that went anywhere.

Thats all part of the fun dealing with OLD cars-quit yer bitchin-you sound like a bunch of old women.

I wouldn't bitch if it was able to seal at all. I can't even wash my car without taping up the windows. I have bought a ton of stuff from G Body Parts and NOS4GN. I have been really happy with the quality of everything except the repro T top weatherstripping. I knew they wouldn't be prefect when I bought them, but had no idea they would be this bad.

I guess I lucked out!! I got mine from 1-A auto several years ago and they've been sitting around the garage in the box for several years. I just got around to installing them a couple months ago, and the fit was great, and I like how soft they are. Didn't have to mess with any window adjustments for the new fit. Just rolled up the windows and closed the doors for a week and was awarded with nice window grooves just like original.

The brand is METRO Supersoft.

Great stuff, feels just as soft as OEM.

I wouldn't wish Sof Seal brand on my worst enemy. Every set I've touched, they seem very hard and always require a lot of "adjustment" to allow proper window sealing.

Hmmm, bot sure what brand G body parts has. The biggest problem I ran into was the fact that the T top to window seals are hard as a rock, while the pillar seals are softer. The other issue is that the last 4-5" of the seal is much softer than the rest of it and it leaves a gap.

Mine is a hard top but around the windows is the same win washing. The rubber is very soft but just don't seem fat enough there was something at one time u could put on rubber to make it expand but can't remember what it was.

Is there a big difference between Monte Carlo T-tops and Regals? I would be surprised if there aren't some around for MC's.

Thats all part of the fun dealing with OLD cars-quit yer bitchin-you sound like a bunch of old women.

so actually wanting something that you paid good money for to actually fit is "whining"?
you do realize that the only reason this is "all part of the fun of dealing with OLD cars" is the same reason you have a hard time finding anything of decent quality or is made in the USA any more, right?
they will just keep selling you junk if you buy the cheapest thing you can find, then don't complain and take it back to where you got it when you find out it's junk.

if u buy from an individual they will always tell u they will fit ! deal with vendors!

Highway Stars does not have original. I read awhile back that they were working with a vendor resolve the issues with the aftermarket stuff, but I don't think that went anywhere.

hiway stars have always treated me right an got what I paid for!

HMM.. I used all g body parts weather stripping on my ttops and doors and didn't have much trouble at all, no leaks or wind noise......

T&N is what we use on the early Chevies. Sof Seal also has some good products. Haven't used them, tho.

Metro Super Soft is the best I have seen / used. Just like OEM. I would use the Metro brand again any time.

The Soff Seal brand was terrible last time I tried it. Maybe you got the Soff Seal stuff?