When to upgrade?

HouTX87

I assume I'm now on borrowed time with my stock brf trans. Car went 7.3 @ 93 in the 1/8 mile. 34k miles, current mods are ck shift kit, hughes deep pan, aux cooler, husek 3021 hf converter. Still operates perfectly but i should probably go easy on it until i can get a solid build. Any thoughts?

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it comes to mind when I read your post . I can give you this peice of advice. I would look at a 4L80e if you are going to swap . I’ve gone through 3 200s that where pro built and after swapping to my 400 I’ve had 0 issues and I know it can take the punishment I can serve it .

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it comes to mind when I read your post . I can give you this peice of advice. I would look at a 4L80e if you are going to swap . I’ve gone through 3 200s that where pro built and after swapping to my 400 I’ve had 0 issues and I know it can take the punishment I can serve it .
I want to keep the 200. Its a low mile street car and ill make an occasional pass at the track. Stock motor with te44 and alky.

I want to keep the 200. Its a low mile street car and ill make an occasional pass at the track. Stock motor with te44 and alky.
Send the 200 to dave husek let him build it for you.i don't even turn up the stock stuff anymore without the trans build.if your really going to use the car dave builds an awesome 200.

Depends on what comes first in your prediction, the money for the preemptive build or the breakage. You have taken a lot of precautions already with the shift kit, coolers, etc. but like you said, it depends on how easy you want to drive it and for how long. What good is having all that power and those mods to just drive it easy? Should have left it stock. LOL.

I'm in the same boat. Trans works great but at 90,000+ miles and my current and planned mods, I'm leaning toward beefing the 200 up this winter BEFORE I turn it up.

My mechanic's logic is normally leave it alone unless it breaks (and it will eventually due to age and being pushed) but in this case, when I asked him this exact question over the weekend, his comment was, "you could wait till it breaks but it beats towing it off the track and finding a way to get it home or going out on you leaving a traffic light on a bad road."

Beefing the trans is foundational work in these cars that run 12.0 or better in my opinion. I'll be getting mine ready. Hope that helps.

I hope this thread did'nt jinx me. My stock 80k tranny {shift kit and External cooler} shifts fantastic. I actually was bragging about it a couple weeks back.
While I'd love a solid trans, I'm not ready to spend the money.

I assume I'm now on borrowed time with my stock brf trans. Car went 7.3 @ 93 in the 1/8 mile. 34k miles, current mods are ck shift kit, hughes deep pan, aux cooler, husek 3021 hf converter. Still operates perfectly but i should probably go easy on it until i can get a solid build. Any thoughts?

Hey HouTX87, How do you like the 3021 on the street with your TE44 ? I'm really leaning toward getting one for my car. did you order with a specific stall # or just tell dave your mods ? Thx DSA87GN

Hey HouTX87, How do you like the 3021 on the street with your TE44 ? I'm really leaning toward getting one for my car. did you order with a specific stall # or just tell dave your mods ? Thx DSA87GN
I love it. Drives like stock and spools instantly. I went from a ptc 3200 10" which was way too loose and there is no comparison. I called Dave and he spent some time with me on the phone. I would give him a call. He was very nice and took the time to answer all my questions.

Thanks Hou. I also have the CK shift Kit, My 1/2 is on the harsh side but gives a nice chirp. Did yours soften up after the converter install ?

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

Thanks Hou. I also have the CK shift Kit, My 1/2 is on the harsh side but gives a nice chirp. Did yours soften up after the converter install ?

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.
Funny you say that. I had the same complaint. CK shift kit here also. Was too harsh with the stock converter. Feels perfect now. Also make sure your tv cable is adjusted properly.

Murphy's Law , it WILL break at the worst possible time . Have it built on your schedule , when you can have the car down with the least impact on your plans for say Buick events , cruz-in's or car shows , and send it to Dave Husek . 2 years on mine at low 10 sec power , shifts like day one after rebuild .

I hope this thread did'nt jinx me. My stock 80k tranny {shift kit and External cooler} shifts fantastic. I actually was bragging about it a couple weeks back.
While I'd love a solid trans, I'm not ready to spend the money.
I have broken many the more they are turned up faster they break.not worth getting stuck inmo

Murphy's Law , it WILL break at the worst possible time . Have it built on your schedule , when you can have the car down with the least impact on your plans for say Buick events , cruz-in's or car shows , and send it to Dave Husek . 2 years on mine at low 10 sec power , shifts like day one after rebuild .
I want to go with Husek. Very impressed with his converter and customer service. The only thing slowing me down is the funds. Ill turn the boost down for now and get a few of the more affordable things finished up on the car.

2-3 shift was my first symptom when I got to low 12s. Once that starts it's down hill quick. Have a builder picked out and just be ready to send it.