Will my 200R4 live behind a 274ci stroker?

Undercover87T

Maryland MAGNA Rep
Staff member
I am in the process of rebuilding my 4.1 into a 4.5/274ci stroker and it has been mentioned that my trans could be the next week link. Just looking for opinions of what the limit of my current trans/driveline would be. Not sure what kind of power its going to make but I'd guess 600whp with boost in the low 20s (220ish roller, M&A heads, PT7168, dual alky). Car is 95% street driven and only sees the track once or twice a year. The trans has been in and out 7-8 times for varrious issues, including destroying 2 converters. Now that its been working fine for the last few months I want it to stay that way. A CK rebuild kit and shift calibration kit were used along with a performance pump, Billet input shaft, drum, overdrive carrier and ring gear (output shaft still stock), deep pan, and B&M aux coolor in line with rad cooler. Converter is a TCS billet 9x11. Maybe 1500-2000 miles and 10 passes on it. Other driveline parts are custom 3in driveshaft with 1350 yokes, Moser 28spline axles, rebuilt stock posi, and TA diff girdle.

I don't think the 600+whp is unreasonable, But you might want to give Chris a call, if he is the one that assembled your trans. Chris would be able to give you a reasonable estimate of hp limit.

Chris didn't assemble it, just supplied the parts. Last two times the trans was out was for a pump seal and a toasted converter and it was nut and bolt disasembled and reasembled both times and everything was said to be 100%. Everything I've read suggests that unless I'm over 800hp/800ft lbs than it should live but want some real world experiences to back that up.

I'd run it. Can't see why it shouldn't being as lightly used as it is.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

A more realistic whp rating would probably be closer to 660-680 W/low boost. You are not using a trans brake, which relieves the shock to the rear-end, but you might want to consider "c-clip eliminators" to prevent an axle from taking an unexpected walk.

Your talking a production 4.1 block??? If so...your block will be weaker then a well built 200. I know of 3 cars that make 650rwhp or more, that run Janis 200's...and mine will be the 4th as soon as we get it onto the dyno.
Many good Buick builders will tell you that the blocks are the weak link when going for max power levels. They crack, or at least the 3.8's do. If the 4.1's were stronger...they'd sell for way more $$$ then they currently do.
This is just my observation from the postings I've read in the past. I think your safe to build and run both at the power your looking for.

Yes it's a production 4.1 block taken out to 4in bore with an Eagle stroker crank. Along with steel caps, and aluminum heads, and main/head studs there should be little to any flex that would cause a crack. It's probably way overbuilt for my goals but it leaves room to grow. 600whp is just a guess. Goal right now is mid-high 10's on a street tune up on pump gas/meth.