When to go with aftermarket TB and doghouse?

Rodney87GN

So how fast can you go with a stock doghouse and TB? I'm shooting for mid to high 10s, is there much of a gain with a 62mm TB and aftermarket doghouse? Or is that money well spent somewhere else...like roller rockers. I will have ported heads and lower intake, 210 roller cam, and TE-45A turbo.

I'd say leave the stock TB and plenum and get a thick plenum spacer and power plate.

Generally they are upgraded when a front mount is put on with 3" pipes. Just makes for a smoother transition then a step down when bringing air into the motor.

Generally they are upgraded when a front mount is put on with 3" pipes. Just makes for a smoother transition then a step down when bringing air into the motor.

+1. you can go 9's on the stock tb and plenum

If you look in my sig. Ive run these times on a stock TB, doghouse with a TE60! With the exception of an RJC power plate.

Keep it simple. Like what was mentioned above at stock TB, upper plenum will get you deep into the 10s or 9s.

If your under 5700 rpm then there is no benefit on a 231 ci going to a larger TB. The boost pressure has little to do with it. Rpm is what will determine the most cfm flow through any engine of a given size. A 70mm is a not needed for anything under at least 6300. There is no gain even with bigger intercooler piping unless the engine is revved higher. More plenum volume will help slow the air down in the intake at high rpm for better distribution and a powerplate seems to help also.

Thanks again for all your input...I guess I'll leave the stockers in there. If it aint broke don't fix it.;) I already have a power plate so I'm good to go.

Brian shared with me that when using the 70mm KB throttle body and plenum, you have to mod the TV Bracket so that you'll still have full transmission line pressure at WOT. I'm thinking perhaps that's why my old tranny was slipping...

i have a spacer and i am going to get a RJC PP
do it put the PP first onto the intake manifold or the spacer then the PP on top of it.
from intake manifold up
A1-PP
2-spacer
3-dog house

OR

B1-Spacer
2-PP
3-Dog house

don't know about anyone else but when i put a esp fmic and a 70mm t/b on my car with a stock turbo my throttle response was awsome....i mean close to know lag had to turn boost down cause i picked up a couple psi ....on the highway the thing was an animal, just resting my foot on the pedal would keep the car @ 85mph put your foot in it and hold on... just my exp... i love it.....joel