when to go with a taller tire?

it feels like the motor will pull to about 5400. trans is real tight. i'm thinking maybe someone put a different set of gears in this?

Are you running the stock elbow and downpipe? If so, there's your problem. I had the same problem as you a few years ago. I was running the same set up but using a PT52 with the stock elbow and cheap 3" pipe the bolted to it. 28" tall slicks and no matter what I did, 12.28 @ 106-107 was the lowest I could get. Finally got my downpipe in from the infamous group purchase and with no other changes at all, same tune and same fuel in the tank and on a hotter day the very first run was an 11.87 @ 113mph. My results may not be typical but changing the downpipe out really woke my car up. Might be worth checking into.

If it pulls to 5200 in 2nd but won't pull to 5200 in third, talk to your chip maker. There may not be enough timing in 3rd gear.

Also, switching to 28" tires won't hurt your car at all and can only help.

My car has way less mods than yours and has run 8 mph faster. I won't run anyting but 28" tires, even on a stock car. Prepped track or no, they are always easier to hook than 26" tires.

stock elbow and downpipe. i hear a lot of guys telling me that this is what's holding me up. i've bumped the timing up as much as 4* over the base set, and it doesn't make a difference. i guess my next mod will be a 3" TH downpipe. thanks for the responses guys.

thanks again for the response Dshort. i'm really thinking that the downpipe is what's holding me up. i'll pop that on next and let you all know what's up.

trbojo said:
thanks again for the response Dshort. i'm really thinking that the downpipe is what's holding me up. i'll pop that on next and let you all know what's up.

No problem. You have the same problem I had. The stock elbow was a major restriction for me. When I put my 3" downpipe on it was a different car :eek: . I picked up almost 5lbs. of boost and had to turn the BstC down quite a bit to get the boost back in check. Get one and I'll bet you'll be happy with what happens. Good Luck ;)