When is it necessary to upgrade headers?

Grandnat

Just curious about when it is really WORTH it to upgrade to aftermarket headers.

I am currently running around 127mph in the 1/4 and wonder if I will pick up any ET going to a set of ATR headers.

how fast have people gone on stock headers?

any back to back testing?

I guess the same questions apply to my stock unported throttlebody.... when is it worth it for me to upgrade that as well?

I'm not too sure on the headers. I always hear the generic rule of thumb that you don't need them until you run 10's. Not sure if it is worth the $800?

As far as the throttle body/plenum, I would venture to say you'd probably pick up quite a little bit by a 65 or 70mm unit.

basically, unless you are running REALLY fast mid - low 10s)- never
Bigger headers will hurt you big time if you put them on before they are needed - with a turbo, velocity is everything

Originally posted by zam70
basically, unless you are running REALLY fast mid - low 10s)- never
Bigger headers will hurt you big time if you put them on before they are needed - with a turbo, velocity is everything

I am running mid 10s.

There are no open 1/4 mile tracks around here but I ran a 6.77@102 on drag radials last sunday night in the 1/8th

and in my car, that is about a 10.50 ET

you may benefit from them now, however, as far as bang for the buck I dunno, if I had the $$$, at your level I would prob opt for them.
just my .02

Just my .02, but...

I've seen at least a dozen cars go 10.30's or better on the stock headers. I've seen them go as fast as 9.80's, at right around 130.

Most people who have made the switch will tell you...don't go with an aftermarket set until you've maxed EVERYTHING else out. The increase in primary tube size isn't going to help you much on these motors until you're around the 850 HP range. No point subjecting yourself to the leaks and fitment problems until you absolutely have to.

g'luck.

Look at it this way, just about anything you can name between the compressor outlet and turbine inlet is more restrictive than the OEM exhaust manifolds...

Cool, that is what I was thinking, you can run the headers and the stock throttle body alot further than most think.

thanks for the input guys

ported on stock headers here 133 mph

not saying that stock ones are good but so far there are no aftermarket headers for stock style motors that I would say are an improvement .

at the 10 second level they need bigger headers not just prettier ones like on the market now