when is a stock turbo maxed out ?

XXX FUN

HELLO ALL: im new to the GN world and I would like to ask a questions or two. here's a little background on the car its bone stock, thoe i've had for a year and I have been reading the forum alott and find it very helpful . so far this is what I got but (nothing has been installed yet). razors alkycontrol, fuel pump & hot wire, 60lb. injectors, GN1 cold air intake. TT chip is next with a down pipe. ---1. how much boost can I get out of the stock turbo ? --- 2. how much can a stock block handle with a good tune ? and witch should I get a scanmaster or a power logger with knock gauge ? --------thanks

Some of your questions will get some really different answers.

How much boost can a stock block handle? I have been shoving 28# down my GN for the past 20k miles, the trick is to have ZERO detonation. (My stock engine has over 154k miles and can still run 11's)

How much boost can the stock turbo make? Stock turbo could possibly do around 30#, is it efficient? NO! Anything past probably 21-22# is just blowing more hot air than anything. If I had the stock turbo and alky kit, I'd crank the boost to 22# and then slowly (SLOWLY) add a little timing to it, while watching for knock. A stock turbo is EXTREMELY fun on the street with alky!

Anyways, glad to see you have been reading up on them before throwing money at it and expecting it be faster:cool: And by the looks of what you have already bought, you won't have to be buying parts twice. (Buy 50# injectors, just to later realize you should have bought the 60#)

just tune for mph. with low boost 23 or so then play with timing and fuel then when you are tuned with no detonation and feel comfortable at those levels. timing and boost then play with boost a little. boost doesnt always make horsepower. alky does make a turbo more efficient beacuse of the cooler charge but not much

thanks for the replys :cool: yes I will take it slow and get a scanmaster I just hope I don't get ahead of myself. I will get the fuel pump and hot wire kit, clod air intake put on this week :biggrin: