whats your oil pressure?

chas52

have recently installed a new vdo oil p guage. oil p is when hot running mobil 1 synthetic, 15-20 at idle and 35-40 on highway at 55 with car in od and lockup engaged. the higher the rpm the higher the oil p.
curious as to other cars. thanks

30-35 p.s.i. hot idle and 60-65 p.s.i. cruising with Kendall 10/40 in sunny So-Cal :biggrin:

chas...if your engine has never been rebuilt, your pressure readings are completely normal....actually a tad better, some idle at 10lbs warm

chas...if your engine has never been rebuilt, your pressure readings are completely normal....actually a tad better, some idle at 10lbs warm

Your not kidding about that 10lbs and i have a VDO gauge that's a little off too scared the crap out of me when i first saw it

Yeah...it is scarry! My GN's original motor is a 10lb'er at idle...weird part, my TTA has awesome oil pressure (for stock) at 20-25 at hot idle and 45-50 cruising at 65 mph...weird :biggrin:

yeah same here hot at idle is 8-10 psi but cruising in o.d at 2k rpms she stays around 30psi. I have been thinking of buying an oil pump kit and pop in a different spring I would really like to see 20psi hot at idle.

yeah same here hot at idle is 8-10 psi but cruising in o.d at 2k rpms she stays around 30psi. I have been thinking of buying an oil pump kit and pop in a different spring I would really like to see 20psi hot at idle.

Don't get your hopes up.I found a NOS GM ft cover and done the oil pump rebuild/clearance mod from a really good(and humorous) post on this site.I used a new Melling HV oil pump and a shim kit from one of our preferred vendors here. I was able to change from 15W40 Delo (5-8psi hot idle) to 10W40 Castrol (8-10 psi hot idle), but not the 20 psi plus I was hoping for.This was on a 45k 86 GN that I belive is the original motor w/some older mods(K&N,chip and slightly larger injectors
(42#?),cat replacement pipe,2500 stall,maybe a slight cam,is all I have discovered) but I did stop an oil leak from the ft seal.
The only answer is wear at cam bearings/crank bearings from the car having seen some hard runs, but opinions here reflect Buick did not feel this motor needed a lot of oil pressure...10 # gain per 1000 rpm (?) so I just drive the sh*t out of it ....so far ,so good.

...10 # gain per 1000 rpm (?) so I just drive the sh*t out of it ....so far ,so good.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya before I do that i am going to try the 20W-50 oil...I am currently running 10W30 I had 20W-50 in it over the winter but since it was really thick when cold I would get a lifter tick at start up. Now that it is hot I will go back to the thicker oil and see how it does.

I am not real concerned it raises more than 10psi per 1k rpms i would just like to see more at idle. It is all temperature in pretty hot weather it holds 10psi but when real hot it will go to 8.

80-90 psi on cold start up and right at 25-27 psi at idle when up to temp.

I don't move the car untill the temp is up, way too much oil pressure to start out driving while cold....

GNS

Dont be scared of 10 psi oil temps when fully heat soaked or after WOT hit. The idiot oil light doesnt come on to around 5 psi. You think Buick came up with that number out of the blue?

Typical is around 20ish at idle but can be as low as ten in gear.

thanks for the info. mine has 5k on a total rebuild with 10w30 mobil1.
when cold the op is about 70+ after a couple mins the pressure settles down to 30-40. as rpms go up so does the op. had a problem with lifters clacking after 5 miles or highway driving but my mech checked the pressure relief valve and it must have been stuck as it runs fine now.

Mine is at 55 cold and 20 at a hot idle, when I cruise 60 or so it is at 50.

But my guage is slow to rise on start up and while reving engine, that's freakin me out:eek:

Mine is pretty much the same as everyone elses. 18-20psi hot idle and 50psi at 2100 rpm cruising. This is with 10w30 royal purple.

80-90 psi on cold start up and right at 25-27 psi at idle when up to temp.

I don't move the car until the temp is up, way too much oil pressure to start out driving while cold....

GNS

x2... and about 40-50 psi when cruising around town using whatever synthetic is on sale & zddp!!! I also have a KB oil booster plate... so I don't if that actually increases oil pressure.

I always wondered... if I should wait the PSIs to go down before driving off. :confused:

x2... and about 40-50 psi when cruising around town using whatever synthetic is on sale & zddp!!! I also have a KB oil booster plate... so I don't if that actually increases oil pressure.

I always wondered... if I should wait the PSIs to go down before driving off. :confused:

Just go Easy until warm. I satrt it & wait 30 secs & drive slow the first while just like all my other vehicles.

I dont even know, and thats prolly a good thing..one less thing I have to stress about after all, its hard to turn up the radio when a gauge shows zero