What's this connector on the ignition control module?

short_dustin

I recently bought this car and I saw this connector on the ignition control module plug and I'm not sure what it goes to any ideas?

2012-02-23_17-30-34_104.jpg

I'm gonna guess someone was monitoring the tach signal....ala
rm or aftermarket tach?

That would make sense, the car has an Autometer sport comp tach on the steering column but it doesn't work. Isn't the tach supposed to be connected to the green connector by the alternator?

TAch signal....looks like that green wire to the right was connected into that at some point.

So does the signal wire go to the green connector by the alternator or to the wire the blue connector is on?

Should be the same wire......People usually hook it up at the green plug behind the alternator but it looks as if they took the signal from the module instead. Only hook it up at one of those areas not both.

SpooledUp said:
Should be the same wire......People usually hook it up at the green plug behind the alternator but it looks as if they took the signal from the module instead. Only hook it up at one of those areas not both.

I have my tach at the green wire on the ECM. Cleaner and neater. Less wires under the hood!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

So does the signal wire go to the green connector by the alternator or to the wire the blue connector is on?

yes , the 5th pin in off firewall at module (white wire- pin E) is the same tach signal as the connector behind alternator
but thats a 3m scotchlok connector and its not a weatherproof connection and the tap is steel and not corrosion resistant , sooner or later it will cause issues in the wire its tapped into

That is the 121 TACH WHT E pin on the computer controlled coil ignition that's been taped for some reason and is not factory. Most likely as the rest have stated for a TACH signal.
416864_229923680436127_100002554912955_441350_2074416881_n.jpg

yes , the 5th pin in off firewall at module (white wire- pin E) is the same tach signal as the connector behind alternator
but thats a 3m scotchlok connector and its not a weatherproof connection and the tap is steel and not corrosion resistant , sooner or later it will cause issues in the wire its tapped into

Not to mention they cause a lot of electrical noise anyway

Ya, if water gets in to it your going to start growing green corrosion. You might want use a release tool to remove the terminal from the connector and then slip some shrink tube over it then you won't get the green furies eating up your wires lol.;)

Scotchlocks are the worst thing you can use on wires. Not only are they unreliable, but they break the insulation, compromising the conductor. And, it's just a matter of time before moisture and oxidation makes it to the terminal in the connector.

Remove the piece and do what Pacecarta says...

Six or a half dozen. there's always more than one way to skin a cat. Shrink tube, slop rtv on it, or liquid tape, ect... some ways just look cleaner and last longer than others. just so long as you stop the moisture it will be good to go.

nothing wrong with scotchlocks or any other "IDC" (Insulation displacement connector) when use in the proper context. But underhood, high vibration is the wrong place for *that* style scotchlock/IDC connector.

Clean and reseal the wire and you should be just fine.

Bob