Whats the procedure for converting from lock up to non lock up?

Braciole

Im hearing different stories from different people about changing from a lock up to non lock up converter. A check ball is supposed to be removed and another put in its place? I heard the lock up noid needs to be disconnected.
I sent a PM to Dusty, But just in case he cant get back to me in time Id like some opinions about it. No check ball or anything came with converter.
thanks
Mike

It is not that big of a deal. I went from a lock up to one of Dusty's 9.5" non-locks. You have to pull the retainer cage out of the front(converter side) of the input shaft and remove the check ball. I also purchased a non-lock kit that goes in the hole where the lock up solenoind goes. It has a snap ring and was a pretty straighforward install. I reinstalled the lock up solenoind even if it doesn't work as it seemed easier to just leave it in there. I can't remember where I bought the little non-lock kit but it was not expensive. It seems that one vendor had one that you had to remove the front pump....I did not get that one. The Non lock from Dusty is awesome.....

Just to be clear

The retaining cage (end of input shaft) has the check ball inside it. You will remove that as a unit. I use a 1/4 in tap--insert, turn clockwise and pull. I also remove the o-ring from input shaft. Nothing goes back in place of the check ball. Change the lockup spool to the non lockup spool and you're done.

I wanted to thank everyone for your help My good friend and I got it done yesterday. We had a hell of time getting out the check ball and clip. We actually came up with the tap on our own (i didnt see it posted till now)
That was def the ticket!
Thanks again
Mike