Going back to the track!

DARTHV6

Been a while since I’ve been to the track. Like 20 years since I’ve been behind the wheel. Got me some new Hoosier slicks. What’s a good tire pressure to start with? You folks still using air bags in springs or is that way old school? If I remember, you are supposed to have one bag less than the other to help launch? Can’t remember a thing. Used to use race gas. Using Alky with E 85 now. Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks,
Art
Alky E85
80# injectors
Champion ported heads and intake
RJ racing plate
Steve V’s transmission
9.5 non lock up converter
6262 turbo
casper dual fans

What fuel pump? Stock lines ? You need a lot of injector and a big pump w/E85 , and the lines to feed it.. but only if you want to make really big power without being on the edge catastrophic failure... BTW 18-22 psi on DR's, not sure about slicks.

You don't mention size of slick, size of wheel mounted on, tubes, screwed lip?
Lots goes into getting a tire pressure that works for you and your car.
I'd be out at an industrial area into the evening doing some testing to see what works for you. Note pad and taking notes as to what you are adjusting and the results. Still different than a prepped track but should get you closer than spending the money at the track for three or four runs and limited data.

What fuel pump? Stock lines ? You need a lot of injector and a big pump w/E85 , and the lines to feed it.. but only if you want to make really big power without being on the edge catastrophic failure... BTW 18-22 psi on DR's, not sure about slicks.
Can’t remember the fuel pump but the transmission builder said it was good. Stock lines. Running 93 octane in the tank. E85 in the windshield washer reservoir for the Alky. I have drag radials on now, slicks for the track.
Thanks!
Art

You don't mention size of slick, size of wheel mounted on, tubes, screwed lip?
Lots goes into getting a tire pressure that works for you and your car.
I'd be out at an industrial area into the evening doing some testing to see what works for you. Note pad and taking notes as to what you are adjusting and the results. Still different than a prepped track but should get you closer than spending the money at the track for three or four runs and limited data.
Ron,
28.0. 9.0- 15 No tube, screwed lip. I’ll forward the wheel info when I find out. Industrial area is the way to go. Full disclosure, I retired from State Police as a Sgt. 3 yrs ago. Only wrote 1 drag racing citation in my career. I have an appreciation for fast cars. (Especially the ones that let me catch them! 😃) Also still have respect for my Brothers still working in these messy times. What I did is found a straight dead end road, went to my boys and said, hey! I gotta do some hits before I take it to the track. If I lose it, run off the road and crunch some property, I’ll call you and I’ll take a ticket. You’ll be surprised the respect coppers have for good drivers and good cars. It’s the whiffleheads that mess it up for everybody. So far, I’ve only met one whifflehead. She did good on drag radials. I need to study my ec-GN logs and tune. Not the best at that, but taking my time.

Thanks,
Art.

Ron,
28.0. 9.0- 15 No tube, screwed lip. I’ll forward the wheel info when I find out. Industrial area is the way to go. Full disclosure, I retired from State Police as a Sgt. 3 yrs ago. Only wrote 1 drag racing citation in my career. I have an appreciation for fast cars. (Especially the ones that let me catch them! 😃) Also still have respect for my Brothers still working in these messy times. What I did is found a straight dead end road, went to my boys and said, hey! I gotta do some hits before I take it to the track. If I lose it, run off the road and crunch some property, I’ll call you and I’ll take a ticket. You’ll be surprised the respect coppers have for good drivers and good cars. It’s the whiffleheads that mess it up for everybody. So far, I’ve only met one whifflehead. She did good on drag radials. I need to study my ec-GN logs and tune. Not the best at that, but taking my time.

Thanks,
Art.
Sorry…Rich not Ron.

Just want to throw this out there, I would get under the car and poke your fingers to the air bags. After that many years they may have degraded. My car sat for 15 years, once I started working on her again 9 months ago I started with rear suspension. Changing upper control arms I noticed red plastic small pieces on the ground. I used my fingers to poke the air bags (red color) and they went completely through, the plastic had hardened and degraded. I just removed them. I'd fill them up and make sure they hold air pressure after driving around a bit.

Good luck on the car!

I used to run a Mickey Thompson slick that size on a stock wheel. Been a while but from my feeble memory we were in the 12-15 psi range. I do remember spending some coin on a moroso low pressure gauge to use to make adjustments with.

Just want to throw this out there, I would get under the car and poke your fingers to the air bags. After that many years they may have degraded. My car sat for 15 years, once I started working on her again 9 months ago I started with rear suspension. Changing upper control arms I noticed red plastic small pieces on the ground. I used my fingers to poke the air bags (red color) and they went completely through, the plastic had hardened and degraded. I just removed them. I'd fill them up and make sure they hold air pressure after driving around a bit.

Good luck on the car!
Thanks!I tested mine and they still have air! I have possi but if I remember somebody said the left side should be more inflated than the other?

I used to run a Mickey Thompson slick that size on a stock wheel. Been a while but from my feeble memory we were in the 12-15 psi range. I do remember spending some coin on a moroso low pressure gauge to use to make adjustments with.
I found my air gauge too. Not an expensive one. Had MT slicks about 15 psiI thought

I have possi but if I remember somebody said the left side should be more inflated than the other?
I think you have that backwards. The right rear air bag should have about 5psi more to start your tuning than the left rear air bag.
I've heard some recommend lower bag pressure in both bags if you have an HR Parts rear rollbar.

I'm chomping at the bit to get my GN back to the track also, I haven't raced that car since 1995!!!
Whatever you do, have FUN and take notes! It will come back to you quick enough!

Good Luck and ENJOY!!!
- Jerry

I think you have that backwards. The right rear air bag should have about 5psi more to start your tuning than the left rear air bag.
I've heard some recommend lower bag pressure in both bags if you have an HR Parts rear rollbar.

I'm chomping at the bit to get my GN back to the track also, I haven't raced that car since 1995!!!
Whatever you do, have FUN and take notes! It will come back to you quick enough!

Good Luck and ENJOY!!!
- Jerry
Jerry,
Ya, it’s coming back to me now, the more I ask questions! I had a rollbar but I got too old for It. Can’t maneuver around it to work on it. 1995 is a long time ago! I used to drive to the track, bypass the fuel pump, drain the tank, add race gas, lay down some numbers and drive home. Should be a little easier this time. Thanks for the airbag tip
Art

You can bring the tire pressure way down on the slicks
That will depend on how the suspension is setup
Weight distribution of the car
Power applied
How sticky is the track etc.
Airbags rt airbag 16 to 20 are good starting points on the left 6 to 10psi.

Apologies that was meant for Darth

I had a rollbar but I got too old for It. Can’t maneuver around it to work on it.
Hi DarthV6!
Just to be clear:

The HR Parts rollbar is their anti-rollbar that I was talking about. (Although you do still need to get on the ground to adjust it. So you may be referring to that too!)
20200410_181016.jpg

This is what I was speaking of, their install directions mention using lower or sometimes no air bag pressure if you use this bar and have it adjusted properly for the launch.

Good Luck and please update the board (or this thread) when you get to racing!
ENJOY!!!
- Jerry

Hi DarthV6!
Just to be clear:

The HR Parts rollbar is their anti-rollbar that I was talking about. (Although you do still need to get on the ground to adjust it. So you may be referring to that too!)
View attachment 356202

This is what I was speaking of, their install directions mention using lower or sometimes no air bag pressure if you use this bar and have it adjusted properly for the launch.

Good Luck and please update the board (or this thread) when you get to racing!
ENJOY!!!
- Jerry
Jerry,
No, I don’t have anything like that. Looking at it, I want one tho! 😁 Thanks for the explanation. Going to the track this Saturday pending no rain. I’ll let y’all know!
Thank you,
Art.

You can bring the tire pressure way down on the slicks
That will depend on how the suspension is setup
Weight distribution of the car
Power applied
How sticky is the track etc.
Airbags rt airbag 16 to 20 are good starting points on the left 6 to 10psi.
Mr. Spool,
Well monkeying around with these aged airbags that I just now decided to see if they work, now the left won’t hold air but the right is good. Just an after thought Cuz I hit the track tomorrow. Pretty good since I forgot they were there!

Hey folks!
Did alright! One run at the track, 12.2 @ 117mph. I like it. Air bags just gave up. Too old. Line lock switch broke, couldn’t heat up my slicks well. Still had a great time, didn’t break anything major. Good day!

Excellent to hear that !!
That was a nice pass, especially for not racing in a while!!
Glad that you had FUN!!

ENJOY!!!
- Jerry