whats the number one preventable thing to not blow your car up?

The most common thing on a modified TR that causes damage that is very preventable is detonation. Either use a high octane fuel or an anti-detonant.

coach said:
Thanks Grumpy.
After re-reading the OP...I think his agenda was to create a checklist of faults others have found. A good idea, but still moot. Who is gonna buy a car and then tear it apart to check their ARP head stud length?
In my honest opinion you have two scenarios that will yield the most reliable results.
1. Buy a car with a nice unopened motor (still a risk, as your trusting the seller) and progress with bolt ons after your sure you have a solid chassis and tranny.
2. Buy a car...gut it...start your own build from the ground up.
If someone else had hands in the car you bought...your walking a tight rope as to whether they made all the correct choices in tuning it.
They are all grenades...you just don't want someone else to pull the pin and then toss it to you.

3. Have plenty of $$$$ to throw at it after you own it.

I wasn't monitoring my alt's voltage output closely enough and BOOM at 25psi. Sounded like a shotgun. I pushed coolant and lifted both heads but the fire ring stayed complete. Drove it 2k miles like that before dropping the pan and seeing starry night. Had all 6 rods straightened and put it back together with new bearings. Used the old rings even and have been pounding on it like that for 20k miles and a lot of passes. I was very lucky though; it should have been worse. I'm keeping this motor complete on a stand when I swap as this is the best engine I've ever owned.

Watch your voltages though and supplement that with good grounds.

"Blowing up" is a pretty general term.
Top end or bottom end.

Top = boost
Bottom = heat, oil, and knock

Do an good inventory of everything your car is running.
Injectors, intake, turbo chip, etc.
Make sure this matches that.
Or close.
Go eassssyy on the magic sauce = boost
I see it as - do you want it to run well for a long time or run wild for a short time.

Change the oil.
And change the oil.
Keep the oil cool.

Always run with a Scanmaster
If you see KR - get out of it.
Immediately.
And figure out what is going.
Even if you think it is false KR.
Add a good knock gauge too.
Knock is the engine killer.

And don't drive on the streets of Iraq.

1) wire tie/secure vacumn line to fuel pressure regulator.
2)replace the original plastic tooth timing chain gear.
3) updated chip with less basic timing for todays fuel.
4)fuel system has to be without a guess up to snuff.
5)as stated before...no test drivers

Bunch of good tips on this thread. I'll have to make sure i do all of them. Especially throwing away keys after its running.

Keep an eye on exhaust leaks at the heads....leak+plug wire=hole in said plug wire=arc-over=boom....ask me how I know.:(

Well, you could always drive it like it was a Buick...........;)

Buy a audible knock alarm, if you find that you are watching the road instead of the gauges at WOT. The alarm is loud and you will let off the go pedal when that thing goes off. I don't want to jinx myself but running 25# for the last 4 yrs. and no headgaskets blown yet..... now tranny's is a different subject...

Chuck

Just set fire to the damn thing and roast marshmallows over the flames! I'm so done with intermittent kr problems! I don't believe it's real kr, but when I look at carnage in the engine section, I could consider alcohol or drugs to be a cheaper hobby. Don't worry, cruel world, I won't off myself over a Buick. But this car is worse then the most high maintenance old lady I've ever had, and I've had a few. K, I'm done venting. Cheers!

A scared man can't "WIN" If your afraid to break it....Then don't race it....Just wash it... wax it...Then look at it :rolleyes: On the other hand. Who knows anyone on this forum that brought their Turbo Regal to do that o_O SO.. I say have the best tune you can get outta your car, and CUT DA SOME BITCH LOOSE :eek:

Throw away the keys so you can't drive it.

ks

Now thats funny!

The biggest thing for me and it has been said but in different ways......is keep the boost= to the octane in the tank and your tune in check!

and then yes cut that beyatch loose as King Kong said!!!!;)

I have found great success at running lower boost levels with just pump 93oct and mixing E-85....no I can not run high amounts of boost but I can safely run 17 and thats good enough for 11's which is a fun street car! Plus I dont have to worry about checking the alky.....is the alky pump weak.....what happens if the alky shuts off in the middle of a WOT blast etc.....(I do have alky also :cool: just not using it now)

I like the KISS method.....Keep it Simple Stupid!