What's the absolute LEAST...

S10xGN

RETIRED!
...amount of wiring/sensors needed to start and run a GN engine?

I'm trying to get mine running and would like to be able to eliminate any devices, sensors, or potential wiring problems that could hinder a successful start. I've heard they'll start w/o MAF, ESC module, EGR, wastegate, etc... Does anyone know FOR SURE?

Thanks!

I have been following your whole transformation/nightmare and I have been feeling your pain, but in this instance I would have to say it's better to spend time figuring out that each wire is correct than to spend time worrying if they are correct. the basics I suppose are the CPS, CAM sensor, MAF (not real necessary when running but it will certainly help). Ignition module is real important, EGR is not but will set a code, wastegate is the same as the EGR. My thoughts are make sure everything that will set a code is taken care of, there is enough during breakin to worry about other than the trouble codes or the SES light. things like the cruise, vac canister, and a few sensors are not that important (as long as you have all the engine parameters monitored with external gauges)

again like I said try to get them as complete as possible, probably not what you wanted to hear but it will be better in the end

my .02

It's soooo strange - turbolink shows everything to be quite normal, I'm not setting ANY codes of anykind. Something is out of synch - it almost seems it MUST be a mechanical problem, but I've had it stripped down to the "long block" and VERY dilligently checked everything MANY times, including degreeing the cam for 6 hours (checked and rechecked a bunch of times)! I could possibly deal with this *if* it never did run, but the danged thing fired right up and ran before I started trying to fix oil leaks. :confused: It might even be a loose connector or pinched wire that only acts up when the harness is touched a certain way...

mechanical problems can be pretty simple some times as they usually cause noise, bearings (main, rod, cam) valvetrain is the same way if something is not right it make noise and at least this stuff is much easier to reameasure than longblock stuff. you say something is not quite right, what exactly is the feeling. is there possibly a gasket problems somewhere on the longblock, I assume all sensors are not only in spec but adjusted to make it run right, saying it is not quite right is hard to tell, is it idle, off idle, light throttle, I assume not WOT yet. did you check the cam lately, I now you were having problems there. Cut open any oil filters? how do they look? Give myself and the rest of the people out here that are a lot smarter with these things than I am and I'm sure we can figure it out.

and a BTT never hurts