whats needed to change a regal to a gn?

chub406

ok. i know this has been brought up tons of times but im going to start piccking stuff up so i want to make sure i get what i need. besides the black paint job, turbo hood, and spoiler. is there anything else i need? just body wise. are the front and rear bumbers/nose different? i cant tell if they are just painted black or if they are different all together? thanks!

Header panel (no ornament), rims, blackout trim, black bumpers, badges and of course the interior. No one could tell until they looked at the RPO code label in the trunk.

ok. so the bumbers are the exact same as a chrome regal bumper, just painted black? do you take all the chrome off the car or just paint it black? thanks!

Hi,
Better start thinking donor car, though if you find one that's reasonably priced and has all that you need,dump your regular Regal and use IT as a project car. The point is, short of just painting all the trim black, which won't hold up,you are in a catch22 situation. I guess you could powdercoat all the trim, but that stuff is pretty brittle. Anodizing is pretty tough, but all these treatments cost money.Maybe you could buy one of those home powdercoating kits,and shave off a few bucks.Most parts won't fit in your home oven, though.
The part that is easy is the mechanical one.Especially if you have a wrecked donor.My 83 is a recipient of such a swap.It was quite a bit of work,but easily doable,with the donor car right there. All the stuff, wiring harness, fuel tank, rear end,trans and motor,and peripherals,were all there, and stock.I wish I had saved what was left,you could have had a majority of the stuff you are looking for. But this was 9 years ago, before I knew what I had. My buddy, whose driveway it was in,finally had it towed off. Oh well, I got the best stuff, anyway. That donor was the best deal I ever got,at $700, running and driving. It was whacked hard in the passenger side. I probably should have fixed it,in hindsight, but I got a pretty unique ride out of the deal. My 83 is the last of the carbed turbos,black with a different gray interior.Chrome everywhere,but GN header panel and blackout headlight bezels. I have the decklid portion of the spoiler installed,not the end pieces.
The car came with a landau roof,cornering lights,chrome cladding,console,power driver's seat,power windows, locks and trunk,and is the first of the ttypes.It was quite the car, in it's day. It's better, now.
I guess I got carried away,but my basic point is, if you want to turn a regular car into a GN,if you are into cosmetics only,it will cost you. If you want the performance too, it is easy to do,but also pricey. Education is important; immerse yourself in these cars. You won't be sorry. Good luck with your plans.

beyond all the black stuff on the outside, and the gray stuff in the interior, there is also the suspension- the springs, steering box, and sway bars are all HD pieces. even the rear brake line is specific to the turbo regal, for some reason.

i just grad from college for auto collision repair. so painting it black is not a big deal. so are the bumbpers the same or not?? lol i cant afford a real gn plus i couldnt cut up a true survivor. the interior and running gear is no problem. its getting a turbo 408 ls motor, 4l80e, 12 bolt with ssm lift bars, plus i might have to put a 10 point in it. i just wanted to make the body look like a gn. it shouldnt be that bad if starting with a good regal. im just asking what the difference is. lol i dont know about the bumpers and i believe someone said the chrome pieces cant just be paint, or just removed im assuming. i would have to get the black out trim or try and pain it then? thanks!

powder coat

The chrome bumpers are the same....only chrome. I powder coated the chrome bumpers on my truck a few years back...holds up pretty good. Most major companies make runs of gloss black several times a week and will do them pretty reasonable. My bumpers cost me 85 each to have powder coated gloss black

You're in a good spot as far as Iowa goes. There are some members around you that may be able to help. You need to go post in the midwest section. Don't bother on converting your car unless you find a donor that is complete and trashed beyond repair. I picked up my car for 2k in cherokee. It's a huge POS but I should only have about 6 grand or so into it, then I'll go for some good mods. Hell you just graduated from auto collision repair. Get yourself a project car and go to work. I'd rather see them fixed up then stripped and smashed. Just hold on to your pennies, they show up when you least expect it, trust me. I've already lost out on a turbo limited right here in sioux city for 1500 bucks.

ya, that was my point before on not buying a real gn. i can pick up a good regal. add the spoiler. take off the hood emblem, buy a hood. fill it. then shoot everything black if thats all it takes. or find someone on line to get the black out trim. i do not want to cut up a true survivor. i dont believe in it. lol those cars are to rare. i just want the look, thats all i care about cause nothing else will be stock except the body is all. i almost got an 84 turbo regal that ran and drove for free but they needed it gone that day and didnt tell me so my other buddy got it. ive located a few really nice cheap cars, the hard part is getting them here. im sure i will come across one when i dont expect it. just like you said. it is alot more cost effective to just make the clone since i only care about making the body look like one. thanks!

The turbo Regals have a stronger rear axle than most other G bodies, which may explain the rear brake line being different. The 12 bolt you have planned may be cheaper than finding a 10 bolt to fit- or maybe not. But heavier, and maybe a little stronger. Take a look at one of the sponsors- GBodyParts.com. They have lots of stuff, and sometimes their prices are the best you'll find. (not always) You also might want to look at one of the brake upgrades. Stock Regal brakes are not that great, and with a high perf chebbie engine, you might need more than what comes on the car. (use search- there are LOTS of brake discussions. Lucky for you, you want have the PowerMaster to deal with)

Stock Regal brakes are not that great, and with a high perf chebbie engine, you might need more than what comes on the car. (use search- there are LOTS of brake discussions. Lucky for you, you want have the PowerMaster to deal with)

My old 84 n/a Regal had very good brakes, much better than the powermasters IMO.

ive already got the 12 bolt, 4:10 gears, south side machine 12 bolt into a g body lift bars, and a locker. luckily i screwed around and didnt get it put in my last drag car before it got stolen. lost about 15,000 and never got to get on it. so luckily i still have that. im going to sell off all my project and motors and drag parts and build another car. so like i said, thebreaks, drive train, and all of that cause its comming off and getting replaced for the most part. so thats why im just interested in the cosmetic area, on how to make it a gn.

Hell If that's the case just paint all the chrome on the car and slap a spoiler on it and front air dam. I got a hood for ya if interested, VERY CHEAP after I take emblem mesurements/etc. for my replacement hood I'm getting later in the spring. It has a slight bow to it on the pass side about 1/3 up the hood, and a few dings. I was told it could be easily straightend but I'd rather get a good hood and be done with it. Barely noticed it was bowed when it was on the car.

i might be interested in that hood. ive found some good rollers but either they dont have a title or too far away. if i did just put the spoiler hood and badges on it. would that pass as a gn? ive only seen one up close a few times. usually just passing on the road. would it be better to find the black out trim? maybe fiberglass bumpers. lol i didnt know if the chrome was different on the car. oh and take off the emblem on the front of the car and fill it. thanks!

Dude, if you plan on putting a different drivetrain in it, just sand the piss out of the bumpers and bumperettes with a grinder, smooth them, paint them. Fill the hole in the header panel. Sand and paint all the trim with semi gloss black. Make sure you dont get the old body style front end. Get an 84-87 Regal. Buy Jesse's hood, straighten it. Try to find a car with grey interior though. That way you dont have to change it all. Thats the worst when someone is cloning a Gn, maroon or blue interior!:eek: Get a floor shift car. Start looking for GN seat covers. If you need anything, give me a shout. I'm in the Quad Cities. I have good resources for whatever you need too! I've always thought about doing a clone BBC car. I may do it sometime!

interior doesnt matter to me either. lol i will put buckets and a floor shifter in. thats what my question was. with the trim and everything. if i could just paint it or not. the one im looking at is an 83 though. i found an extremely clean 85 but its in south carolina. but i just started as a transporting cars, broker. so im going to see how much it will cost. by the way. anyone needing a car hauled or wanting to buy a car out of state. let me know. i can get ya a quote and/or deliver it to.

I honestly wouldnt buy an 83 if you want to clone it to be a GN unless you have a 84-87 front clip. The interior can be painted but I have seen many of those paint jobs chip/scratch off. just my opinion though! BTW, I have many grey interior pieces if you needed them.