What's a decent DA polisher/buffer?

robk46

Looking for advice on a decent dual action polisher. I don't want to spend more than a 100 bucks if I can help it. I'm trying to buff out oxidation and scratches on my GN (so basically the entire car :eek: ), and my arms can't take it anymore. I've already wet sanded with 2000 grit, so now I'm just polishing.

I'd suggest a Bosch or Porter-Cable, right-angle, 5", variable speed, DA sander (also suitable for polishing at lowest speeds). Brand new, might be a bit more than $100. Some of the less expensive brands at a Home Depot should also suffice, eg Ryobi or Rigid. Also you'd need several foam pads that screw-in directly to the polisher's arbor, or attach via hook&loop fastener to the backing pad.

Fine Homebuilding Magazine had a review of sander/polishers couple years ago, either pay $3.50 for back-article online purchase or read it a library.
Fine Homebuilding Online Archives and search for "Random Orbit Sander".

Also see How-To Use The Porter Cable 7424 6" Orbital Polisher (personally I think 5" pad size is more versatile).

... prefer to use a polisher that is not DA since it usually cuts faster you have to be a little more careful along edges though. ...
Is this wise, unless you are a professional detailer by trade? One could do some serious damage with a 7/9 inch polisher.

I have a Makita 7" right-angle sander, it's really only good for grinding away metal & wood logs ;)

Seems a 5"-6" DA is a lot more forgiving and produces better quality, plus is useful for woodworking ;)

Is this wise, unless you are a professional detailer by trade? One could do some serious damage with a 7/9 inch polisher.

I have a Makita 7" right-angle sander, it's really only good for grinding away metal & wood logs ;)

Seems a 5"-6" DA is a lot more forgiving and produces better quality, plus is useful for woodworking ;)

It is actually not that bad just as long as you remember to keep the direction of the pad going off an edge at all times and keep the speed of the polisher on the slower side. once you start to polish the car you will just seem to work the best at a certin speed. It is just going to take forever to buff out a whole car with a 5 or 6 inch pad on a DA that has been sanded with 2000 grit.

It is just going to take forever to buff out a whole car with a 5 or 6 inch pad on a DA that has been sanded with 2000 grit.

But that is the safe method for those who haven't used a rotary before. I'd hate to see burned paint for the sake of time.