What's a Cobra SVT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that inflation calculator, but, it is 18,000 and change for a fully loaded GN in 87, I believe the markup issues more so occured with the GNX @ $30,000 plus dollars. If that calculator is correct then the difference is less but still there. Maybe about $5,000 (18,000=87 \ 27,000=01 - about 2,000 to 03). I can do alot with 5,000 and a bone stock GN. I'm hard core about the GN but I do give the 03 Cobra it's DUES, it is very impressive. If things go well I may have the best of both worlds parked in my driveway this summer. I'm thinking GN and Cobra or GN and WRXsti. :eek:

I should be pretty close to one with my car,even with the 215 Eagle GT's.My trap speed in the 1/8th before the last batch of mods was either 94.89 or 95.89.The car since then has had a converter an a CAS v-4 to go with the turbo.Joe Lubrant said you could figure about 20 mph higher in trap speed for the 1/4 mile.So back then even with stock tires and a 2.01 60 ft I should have seen 115 in the 1/4 mile.I mainly have a traction problem. I just put in my new chip from Joe Lubrant.I got to tell you it seems to be worlds betterthan before!The instant that it stated I could tell the difference!The idle was much smoothere and even the exhaust tone was diffeent.The car has 009's an was running way rich on bottom and lean up top.The chip change cured this.On the street chip with 23 degrees of timin I see 20-21 psi of boost with the PTE 52.Can't wait to try the race chip with 26 degrees and 110! Highly reccommend his chips!Thanks again!

Originally posted by boogerlizard
keep your heads in the sand fellows. these cars are no joke. you obviously live in your own little word, where you think the TR is king. while they are awesome cars don't knock the potential of the new cobras. i suggest you go and do some research before you start the eye rolling.

First off, anything has potential with enough money. Granted the cobra's are running great with about 2000 total in mods, but they are stickering anywhere from 35-40k. Most dealer ships in my area(s. florida) are not letting these cars leave the lot for under 40k.:eek: For comparison sake an 01 z06 will run you about 35-40k, with an 02 running you around 42-45k, you do full exhaust and a 150 shot for about 1500-2000 in mods and you are running in the 10's @ mid 120's traps.

And so what if the cobra's are running 11's or even 10's, most of the TR's that are in the club I am the chairman of, run deep in the 11's or 10's.(mine included) Granted the mod list for the TR's may be longer, but you will still spend more if you purchase a cobra and then mod it.

..Finally, I am really sick of hearing about these cars. They run great, but I think people forget it is still a 35k car at its cheapest, and from what I have heard from a local ford shop, they have a habit of braking drive shafts, amoung many other things, so they are far from the bullet proof image everyone on the net gives them.

I'm sick of hearing about them too. Why on earth is there a preconceived notion that when a non-enthusiast comes to this board to defend Brand X cars, we are looked down upon for not respecting their vehicle of choice? Or worse, be outright told on this board that a TR is substandard? I could give a crap about any car I'm not into. Someone else can feel the same way about what I like and it doesn't bother me one bit. But I don't go into their domain and scold them for not liking/respecting what I like. If there is a need to find out more about the competition, I'll be the judge of that thank you very much.

This troll attitude is just plain annoying. :mad: If you like Ferds or anything else and feel the need to defend their honor or glorify their existence then knock yourself out, just don't do it here. If you want to discuss their technical attributes, I don't think anyone has a problem with that. We do like cars.

Originally posted by boogerlizard
sorry...but an "average stock" regal would get his @$$ handed to him by a well driven "average stock" cobra. just know that those cars are just as cheap and easy to mod as a TR is/was. for under 1000, you can get those cars in the 11's.
actually he's right ;) "average stock" regal...not "average stock" turbo regal

I have to add my two bits.... I'm not a GN owner YET, but the bug bit me when I got to drive my buddies '87 for the first time the other day. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I took a Cobra today with my piece o' donkey dropping (I guess it would actually be panda dropping), at least through 1st gear. While he was spinning his tires I slid away quickly until he finally caught.

1991 Toyota Celica ST 1.6L, 209,000 miles, no mods.

Now if that didn't embarass him, I don't what will. Maybe at least he'll think about taking some basic drivers ed so to speak. I know my buddy has been looking for him, just hasn't had any luck yet.

There is something to be said about a 16 year old car having this many supporters still. Everything my friend has shown me so far has been fabulous. He currently owns three GN's plus an '86? camaro with an '87 GN engine. I have to believe that anybody that cannot find one decent thing to say about GN has never had the opportunity to experience a ride in one, let alone get behind the wheel. It may be a few years before I'm in a position to start looking for my first gn, but trust me it is coming.

Technical attributes. Roger...coming at ya.

To address the issue of car price comparisons between 1987 and 2003....have they risen at the same rate as inflation? My perception is that car prices (in general) have risen at a rate exceeding inflation, but I have not looked at the data. If someone else has, kindly post. Thanks.

As for what a 03 GN would like like now....come on...that's about as speculative as saying Saddam Hussien is at Fort Hood, TX.

First off, anything has potential with enough money.
Correct. Your car is a wonderful example of this (I assume you're running 11's now, of course?).

Granted the cobra's are running great with about 2000 total in mods, but they are stickering anywhere from 35-40k.
They "sticker" for $34k (coupe). Some dealers are marking them up - but some are also now discounting them (can provide references if you like).

Most dealer ships in my area(s. florida) are not letting these cars leave the lot for under 40k.
What dealers? I'd like to check them out, please.

For comparison sake an 01 z06 will run you about 35-40k
Yup. It's a 2 year old used car, and thus becomes pretty much apples to oranges when compared to a 03, but it is a great performer none-the-less, and prices continue to come down.

As an FYI, there are now used low mileave 03 Cobra's (2 years newer than 01 Z06's) going for under $30k. Don't take my word for it though....search Autotrader.com if you don't wish to believe me.

with an 02 running you around 42-45k,
I was looking into these about a month ago. $42k would be on the low end, but possible. Again, very nice, fast cars (though still a used and not new car - not a big deal to me, but is to some). Please see above comment about used 03 Cobra prices.

you do full exhaust and a 150 shot for about 1500-2000 in mods and you are running in the 10's @ mid 120's traps.
Perhaps - on slicks/ET Streets anyways. Then again, I've seen Vette's drop halfshafts at the track too (latest was an all-motor LS1 at Cecil County this past November), so whilst they have the power, like most cars with lots of power, there are other issues that need addressing.

And so what if the cobra's are running 11's or even 10's, most of the TR's that are in the club I am the chairman of, run deep in the 11's or 10's.
Cool. What does yours run now? I haven't been keeping up. Anyways, I think the point is that these cars are doing it without ever lifting a valve cover, with pump gas, with the IRS, at near full weight, on stock tires, and some of the 10 second cars on DR's. Taking nothing away from TRs - which I have always admired - I think this is a pretty nifty accomplishment. You, you, you or you may not - and that's fine. You, you and you may not care. Oh well.

Granted the mod list for the TR's may be longer, but you will still spend more if you purchase a cobra and then mod it.
Uh....duh? It's 17 years newer and light years ahead in virtually every technical aspect. No flame - just fact. If going fast cheap - everything else be damned - was the goal, then there are a LOT cheaper ways to go than a 03 Cobra or even a TR. Got smallblock Chevy in old Nova/Chevelle/Vega?

I think that's a silly arguement. You might think differently.

Finally, I am really sick of hearing about these cars.
I would suggest resisting the urge to click the link on a post that has "Cobra SVT" in the title - but that's your choice, not mine.

They run great, but I think people forget it is still a 35k car at its cheapest
Perhaps in your neck of the woods...but some are being discounted now. Regardless....what new (not 17 year old) car goes faster for cheaper? That's a rhetorical question, because the answer is obvious, whether you like it or not.

and from what I have heard from a local ford shop, they have a habit of braking drive shafts
It is not drive shafts that they are braking (sic). Rather, it is halfshafts, and it is not nearly as common as earlier IRS Cobra. While they do still break more than most would like, there are Cobra's running in the 10's - and even one in the 9's - with the IRS. It's not as bad as some would like to portray (mainly the pundits).

amoung many other things
Such as? Please be specific. I have tried to be as specific as possible - it would appreciate the same in return. Thanks.

so they are far from the bullet proof image everyone on the net gives them.
Really? How many trashed Cobra T56's have you heard of? How about blown motors? How about ANY other signficant problems vice the occasional broken IRS halfshaft? And once again, please be specific.

And once again....if my post makes you mad, then perhaps you shouldn't be reading a post entitled "Cobra SVT". I did not force anybody to click this thread, so if you're pissed off, go look in the mirror. :)

Hello Bob...

..nice to see you're still around.;)

Anyway, I will only address a few things I noticed:

(I assume you're running 11's now, of course?).

The above is a very ignorant quote, as long as I have been posting on here, I have been in the 11's.:D :eek:

What does yours run now

11.8@118.25, with a 1.85 60 foot. I lack traction. But that will be changing along with some other things soon.:) I am expecting low 10's this winter.:eek:

...As for everything else you said, if you want to research my comments go right ahead, since I know there true, I have no need to research them, but if you want to waste you time to disprove me, be my guest.:p

thanks for the input bob....

i love the GN/TR. i will own one someday. serveral of my friends have/had them and were good performing cars (in a straight line). they have always had a mystique surrounding them. I in turn am a TR enthusiast sans the ownership of one. if that makes me a troll...so be it, your opinion means very little to me...

my whole point was the 03 is a great car at a great price that delivers excellant performance, even though it does not carry a buick badge on the back! you can have your opinion and i can have mine.

and yes chevys do suck :)

No stock TR...no way, no how...is going to hang with a bone stock '03 Cobra driven equally well. Anybody making this comment obviously spends very little time at a drag strip and has very little comparitive knowledge of each car.
The '03 cars have yet to show a propensity for breaking half-shafts. That information is about...uh...3 years old and applies to the '99/'01 Cobras...not the '03, which has hardened 31-spline axles and a HD 8.8" diff, which will endure plenty of abuse. It seems like there have been a few cars with clutch problems, many of them caused by improper adjustment (there is a manual procedure with the '03), lack of break-in miles and higher than stock rwhp levels (duh!).
'03 Cobras with only a few thousand miles can now be had for under $30k...or about $15k less than a used '02 Z06. ;)
Comparing an '03 Cobra to a TR in anything other than a straight line contest of acceleration is a ridiculous notion. Even then, it's going to take a modded TR to keep up. Put a pulley/chip combo (~$400), CAI (~$200), cat-back (~$500) and a set of DR's on the '03 and it'll run mid-11's with ease...on pump gas.
S.

boogerlizard...back in "the day", there was a left-over 87 GN sitting on the Buick lot right across from the Ford dealer that I was ordering my 88 Coupe from (that I still have, BTW). Had there not been a 40% difference in price (12k vs 17k), I would have jumped on the GN in a New York minute. I've always loved them - and probably always will. Perhaps someday....

Ok.

..nice to see you're still around.
Thank you. I was hoping to see you chime in on the thread in which I was having fun with your brother. Missed ya....too bad.

Anyway, I will only address a few things I noticed:
Ah. Translation....the only things you can try and contradict. Gotcha. Ok.

The above is a very ignorant quote, as long as I have been posting on here, I have been in the 11's.
Hook, line, and sinker....

Please accept my humble apologies for my "ignorance". Then kindly see the above statement about enough money making anything fast (even you Alex).

11.8@118.25, with a 1.85 60 foot. I lack traction.
I see. We all have our excuses, eh? Perhaps next time your tranny won't shift right.

But that will be changing along with some other things soon. I am expecting low 10's this winter.
I'm expecting to become a millionaire this winter. I'll hold my breath right along with you.

As for everything else you said, if you want to research my comments go right ahead, since I know there true, I have no need to research them, but if you want to waste you time to disprove me, be my guest.
The easy out. Tis expected. Perfect example of an Internet Racer. Can say anything they want - don't have to back it up with references or facts. That's fine. Those that wish to believe you certainly can. Those that are a weeee bit smarter know better. There's an old saying that one will pander to the group in which they can easily influence. You do well.

You are and your boy never change. Have a good one. :)

I suppose you having a little appreciation for TRs is a good thing, Bob. It's your prerogative to post here as it is for any other person who signs up. However, being that you are Administrator of www.corral.net, it is my opinion that for you particularly, it's in poor form to taunt the members of other boards. The folks here are largely enthusiasts of vehicles they actually own. On what other boards do you post and conduct yourself in a similar manner? Are we just special?

You've become a very intriguing individual. Perhaps it's time we explore the world of Mustang and test your board's knowledge of their brand of choice's competitiveness. I'm sure similar comments and the picking apart of threads there from our members would be met with the same reactions you are experiencing (and apparently reveling in) here. It's something to think about regardless.

LOL. Interesting reply. :)

Couple of comments.

First, I have a LOT of appreciation for TR's. I would encourage you to try and find a post in which I even sort of dissed these cars. A few of the owners? Ok - you got me there - but not the cars. In the big scheme of things though, that really is rather irrelevant.

I agree that "taunting" members is in poor form. Guilty as charged. However, I would like to state (in a poor form of defense) that I "taunt" only a couple of youngsters in particular that I have had, uh, "discussions" with in the past. Whilst I might disagree with others - and those same folks might disagree with me - I will rarely do more than simply discuss, point out what I see as errors or inconsistancies, etc. I do like to have fun with these two though. It's just too easy. Kindly forgive my transgressions...and after all...I did leave brick alone after his last reply in a different thread. :)

As for other Forums....there are a couple of folks on LS1.com that I enjoy sparring with. That's about it - sorry (and they aren't quite as defenseless as the two I like to chew on here, nor do they have quite as many folks complaining about it).

About the Corral. Little discussions such as this are one reason we don't have a "Kill Forum", and never will so long as I am part of the site. Of course, what Forums a site has or doesn't have is purely up to the owner - and I certainly respect that (even if I disagree). The Corral is in the minority by not having a "Kill Forum". Such is the way we like it on this particular issue.

We do have lots of owners of other cars - including TR's. Additionally, we have Guidelines (call em rules if you like) that are published to specifically discourage some of the stuff that happens in these forums - including some of the things that I have posted.

Hypocritical? Perhaps - depending upon your point of view. However, I do not believe I have ever posted anything here that goes against any stated policy. If I have, I would ask that an Administrator clue me in, tell me what to post/not to post, and I would most certainly respect that.

A suggestion...grow some thicker skin. There is a post in a "Kill Forum" that has "Cobra SVT" in the title on a Turbo Buick Forum. What do you expect? Do you expect everybody to jump on the bandwagon everytime? Personally, I expect pretty much everything that I see. I would also note that you would never find me starting such a non-TR post over here (nor would I start a similar post on any non-Mustang Forum). However, once they start, I see no good reason not to respond. Should I?

Perhaps it's time we explore the world of Mustang and test your board's knowledge of their brand of choice's competitiveness.
LOL. Some might read this as a threat. Regardless, you're more than welcome to join our Forums, and join in our discussions. You won't find too many "Just killed a TR" type of posts though. Just the nature of the beast.

You are correct that such a thread, and the "picking apart" of a particular member likely would result in much the same type of replies. It would also likely be shut down after some point. Different Forums...different rules....different reasons for being.

Have a good one. :)

if gns were produced new, today, with the goal of speed, im sure they would come stock with at least a 44 turbo, 55 lb injectors and a much better intercooler-- all this for alot less than 35000-- this would mean that the 03 mustang would still be watching our tail lights disappear,as usual

Great responses as usual Bob! I used to frequent the Corral a lot when I was heavily into Mustangs.
Just a side note. Its human nature to have some sort of prejudice or bias. Its in our nature. But there are those on here that refuse to admit when something is faster than their car OR when they are wrong. The new Cobra is a very fast car. Stock, modified, etc. I have seen 5 different ones at Atco and none ran an slower than mid 12's. 1 in the 12's, 2 in the 11's (on radials) and 1 in the 10's.Most were on radials as well.
For $35k it is one hell of a car. Besides the power, you also get the handling and braking and every other conceivable luxury. That in itself is amazing when you consider the average family sedan is now in the high $20k range. People seem to forget that car prices have changed since the 1980's. $20k now will get you some sort of sub compact car. You will not get any type of performance car. Yes you can buy a TR for $10k or less and throw $2-$3k in modifications to it and go faster for less than the cost of a Cobra. But we can also add in that one can go buy an old Vega/Nova/Chevelle and throw some sort of 350 with spray on it and go faster than a TR. We can do it with an old Mopar or an old Ford. Many different ways to go fast and many different weapons to choose. Some just choose to start off with something that is fast from the factory.
Good posts guys.

I've learned a little in my few years on the planet and that is to never expect folks to change. This will be my last reply on the thread. My intention has only been to ask for peace and deflate some of the mockery from the outside communities who migrate here from time to time. Fortunately this thread hasn't degraded into name calling and bashing which around here is frowned upon heavily. Car communities are always going to tout their own superiorities within their circles; it'll continue here as well. Since we all know this, we'll all have to deal with it individually when differing opinions overlap. I for one will sleep well tonight; my skin depth is just fine.

Have a good one as well. :)

Pssst, Lee, buddy, '03 Turbo Neon, low 14s out of the box for $19,995. Don't forget that's where we all started. No flames; you're my wingman!

i personally don't care for Ford too much...but man they sure did a nice job on putting out that 03 cobra...i tell you what...what does GM have to offer as far as performance RWD cars like that that we can actually get close to TOUCHING? nothing...z06 is 50k and the GTO coming out will be 35-40k with the cobra still beating it...

ford is leading the way right now as far as new performance cars...GM did the most stupid thing ever by ending the F-bodys and the awesome LS1 motor...granted it will be in the GTO but that thing looks like @$$...kinda reminds you when they killed the TR back in 87...

I will give props to all where they deserve it.
The new Cobras are bad news i'd roll in one in a second.
Look at the GM inventory currently or that has been produced in the last 5 years other than the diesels and front wheel drive cars nothing had forced induction in the rear wheel drive platform.

The Cobra has a blower and that is why it screams.
Slap a blower and suspension on the LS1 powered cars and then they would run the same or better.

We will have to see what GM is gonna come up with for competition to the Pony cars since the Camaro and Firebirds are through for now. Hopefully turbo or blown will be in the picture.

My buck and a quota

happy hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.