What would be the best Turbo for me

Double-L

I have been hearing a lot about the new turbos, My car runs real good for what it has, Rides like a Caddy on the street and gets about 23 mpg, I would trust it to go cross country, It is a street car that I like racing it now and then, It runs 10.40 at 131 on 22 pounds of boost with the alky set on about 4 or 5 and 100-105 fuel, I don't want to turn it into a race car as it is like new, It was purchased here in town to use as a race car, He never drove the car, It had 6,000 mile on it when I got it and I think most them were burnout miles, Always in the garage with ac on it in the sumer and heat in the winter, Most that has seen it run say turn the boost up but it spins the slicks now so it would do little to help it, Now here is the problem it is just so hard to race, I know I am being picky, You have to start boosting it as you come in the lights and then bump it in boosting all the time trying to keep it at 5-8 pounds of boost, Anymore you blow the tires off and less you don't run as good and hard on everything, What I would like is a turbo that boost as quick as it can and maybe even pick up a lttle, Here is my build, I have to change the fuel pump as it doesn't work to good at 130+

1987 grand national
30 over JE Pistons/ Total seal filed rings
Eagle H rods
Eagle balanced crank
Girdle
Champion aluminum heads
Champion flow matched intake
1.65 Shaft Mount roller rockers
Comp #69-400-8 218/112 Cam
Hemco plenum
Accufab 70mm throttle body
Big Front mount Intercooler/ 2 1/2 pipe
83lb high impedence injectors
Walbro pump,hot wired
200 4r with all the good parts
ptc 9.5" convertor,5 disk lockup/Locks at 126 mph
3.42 gear
LT1 mass air meter with translator
4" cold air intake
66BB turbo
TA performance headers
ATR 3" down pipe
Turbonetics delta gate mark II 6psi
Turbonetics boost controller
Alky Spray Kit

The 6266 journal with a ptc 9.5" converter would be faster spooling and give you enough wheel to run 137-138mph. Id get the converter before I spent the $ on a turbo if it were me though. You could squeak more out of that 66 too if you're looking for more power.

My mistake and have changed it that was my old converter, I did have the ptc 9.5", Also forgot to add I put new disk breaks on the back

I would leave it as is and enjoy it. You probably will get more out of tuning it further then changing turbo's.

The 6266 journal with a ptc 9.5" converter would be faster spooling and give you enough wheel to run 137-138mph. Id get the converter before I spent the $ on a turbo if it were me though. You could squeak more out of that 66 too if you're looking for more power.

If he has the 66(65) w/ T. 63 it will spool faster than the 6265 or 6266 PTE .63 housing.

I had the 6262 jb. The 6665 spooled a lot faster Brian due to the smaller exhaust housing. Same 9/11 billet converter... I know you do not believe me Brian.lol

Keep the T-66! It's a badasss turbo! 6265BB/6266BB would be my next choice of turbo's.

Your Vig 5 disc l/u (if that's what you have) prolly stalls 2400ish @ 1 psi. ?

Joe

You are being picky..... 10.40's @ 121 on 22 psi boost....... most would kill for that.

You didn't mention your suspension setup..... or boost controller setup. Both of these could make it much easier to launch the car and get the 60'time better.

IMHO, you should be sub 1.50's on the 60'.... maybe even low 1.40's...... if you aren't there yet..... that's where I'd put my effort.....

You should have some more room to cut the boost up as well.... once you get the good 60' time....

JP112_89 said:
If he has the 66(65) w/ T. 63 it will spool faster than the 6265 or 6266 PTE .63 housing.

I had the 6262 jb. The 6665 spooled a lot faster Brian due to the smaller exhaust housing. Same 9/11 billet converter... I know you do not believe me Brian.lol

Keep the T-66! It's a badasss turbo! 6265BB/6266BB would be my next choice of turbo's.

Your Vig 5 disc l/u (if that's what you have) prolly stalls 2400ish @ 1 psi. ?

Joe

That may be true to an extent but you hit choke flow around 650hp and start dropping boost as rpm increases with the T66 in an s cover and small ex housings. This will start happenjng around 132mph.The 62cea in an S cover works much better than the old cast t66. There was a drop in backpressure when running a 6265 vs a 6680. The gtq wheel flows more than the 65 so how could it be possible? The answer is the amount of ex energy needed to drive the compressor. The 66 compressor isn't happy trying to flow over 70lbs/min in that s cover. The 6265 was good up to 78lbs/min where it started heating the air quite a bit. Running a smaller ex housing than a precision .63 or t-netics or Garrett .82 is introducing choke flow if trying to get the most mass flow out of the turbo. I'm definitely not against a Garrett .63 as a temporary fix to a marginal converter since it's cheap and easily swapped out.

This will start happening around 132mph.

132/133mph is where the TTA heads hit the wall due the short exhaust port AND the combustion chamber being so damn small as you know. T-6665 w/ .63 tnetics housing will max the TTA heads... A bigger housing would not help just hurt the spool time in my case. That is why I chose it. Much more responsive down low and hits harder down low than the 6262 due to the small housing.

Thanks for the detailed info Bison!

Joe

132/133mph is where the TTA heads hit the wall due the short exhaust port AND the combustion chamber being so damn small as you know. T-6665 w/ .63 tnetics housing will max the TTA heads... A bigger housing would not help just hurt the spool time in my case. That is why I chose it. Much more responsive down low and hits harder down low than the 6262 due to the small housing.

Thanks for the detailed info Bison!

Joe
This is where a Garrett .63 on the 6262 would really kick ass.

It would be close. I'm not exactly sure where the 62 turbine runs out. If the CR was high enough i could see it running 132-133mph though. A 6265/66 with a Garrett would go further but still needs more ex housing to run the compressor out.

You are being picky..... 10.40's @ 121 on 22 psi boost....... most would kill for that.

You didn't mention your suspension setup..... or boost controller setup. Both of these could make it much easier to launch the car and get the 60'time better.

IMHO, you should be sub 1.50's on the 60'.... maybe even low 1.40's...... if you aren't there yet..... that's where I'd put my effort.....

You should have some more room to cut the boost up as well.... once you get the good 60' time....

I am ruuning 1.50's 60 ft. I am working on the wheel spin, A friend of mine run the car in open class at the LSx shoot out and spinning the slicks he he run 10.40 at 133, Like a lot has said a bigger turbo really won't help me but the new one spool faster

he said 1 THIRTY 1!!!