What would 20 lbs of boost from a stock turbo feel like?

Project TNX

I have always wondered just how much air and force that would feel like say to a persons hand or face.

:confused:

I ran 12.20's@110.5 with a stock turbo @ 20 psi, using a Thrasher 108 chip and an exhaust dump.

I have always wondered just how much air and force that would feel like say to a persons hand or face.

:confused:

You could always hook up an air compressor and get a general idea. Are you looking to vent due to life circumstances or this this a hypothetical question?

I started my WS6 with the Vortech on and took the maf and intake ducting off, at idle it felt like quite a bit of air. And this was pullied for 6 psi :eek: 20 psi from a spooled buick turbo would not be fun :mad:

Haha, not quite my intent, but I started this right before I went to bed.

Forget about the heat, I would just like to know what the force of say 20ish pounds of boost feel like. I know what 20 psi at 150 cfm is from my air compressor feels like (albeit it took this thread to make that comparison), so I guess 20 psi at 500 cfm is pretty darned forceful.

And yes, I am jonesing to get back on the boost, I;ve been stuck driving a 140 hp Nissan truck for 2 years and it's killing me.

Hi,
Strange question, but I think I have an approximate answer.If you stick a potato in one exhaust pipe, and hold your hand over the other while dyno testing your car, I'll bet that's an pretty good average of what it would feel like. I would wear a nomex glove to do this.I bet the ole airpump will surprise you, maybe even make you wish you never tried such a damn, fool stunt! I have never attempted this, myself.Good luck satisfying your curiousity!

Sweet!!! I have a 10 speed tandum 2 person bike if you wanna try it with me!!! But, i have to do it in spandex. :biggrin:

If we multiply the rpm's we're able achieve by 90,000 or so then I will finally get an idea of how much air 20 psi at 500cfm is, brilliant. :biggrin:

If we multiply the rpm's we're able achieve by 90,000 or so then I will finally get an idea of how much air 20 psi at 500cfm is, brilliant. :biggrin:

Too bad it wont be under a load and wont be flowing the amount of air you want it to.
Lets say you fire it up with the IC removed so you can feel the air shooting. Now what? What was the point? Where do you go from there? Pop the valve covers off and push down on the rocker arms with your hands so you can feel how much force the pushrod has?
I guess I only care how fast the turbo is making my car move.
Like 6 years ago, there were these guys selling these small tubular electric superchargers. They could only sell to the import market (wonder why). They would gain like 6hp and would push like 1psi on a 4cyl. They had some videos showing the blower in action. That little blower, when aimed at a fireplace log...like those duraflame ones...it would take that log and throw it across the room like nothing. The amount of air we have to get the boost we have, would have to be pretty impressive.

Strange question. Personally I don't think it'd feel like much at all, but maybe I'm thinkng about it all wrong. I can crank my air compressor up to 150psi and blast myself in the face and it doesn't do anything but get the cheeks flappin' *shrug*

:D

yeah, but that's 150 psi coming out of an almost pinhole size outlet. Think about if it was 150 psi coming out of a coke can size hole...it would kill you, or at least try :D

Point is, a lot of pressure moving through a small hole doesn't account to much air. It's all about the volume and pressure. Blowing a 150psi air compressor into an engine's intake at WOT probably wouldn't even make a bump on the gauge...