What will it run?

Any idea what my car should run? I have a 87 motor in a 83. Powerstroke intercooler, Meth injection, 60lb inj, 255lb fuel pump, stock turbo (Ta63 available as well), TT chip for current combo and TA 63, RJC boost controller, Powermaster, sway bar removed, headers, 3" power pipe, 3" exhaust, 10" custom converter (unsure of stall) but more than stock, no heat, ac, fiberglass rear bumper, etc.... If I have boost at 20 psi, is a 6.90 in 1/8th mile possible on M/T Drag Radials? I can get at least 10psi or more on the brakes.

You realize a 6.9 in the 1/8th is a 10.76 in the 1/4 right? You will not reach that with the stock turbo. With the TA63, that is possible, but I am going to be conservative and say about a 11.7 or a 7.5 in the 1/8th. Running a 10.76 on a TA63 is probably stretching its capabilities according to its HP rating. But then again, Bison seems to be making 100+ FWHP over the turbos actual rating, so anything is possible. I am not trying to insult you, but if you are shooting for 10.76's, your going to need a little more turbo and some tuning.

Question about the stall you have, what is the RPM when you are 0-1PSI of boost? That will give us the correct stall rating for the converter.

HTH,
Zack

You realize a 6.9 in the 1/8th is a 10.76 in the 1/4 right? You will not reach that with the stock turbo. With the TA63, that is possible, but I am going to be conservative and say about a 11.7 or a 7.5 in the 1/8th. Running a 10.76 on a TA63 is probably stretching its capabilities according to its HP rating. But then again, Bison seems to be making 100+ FWHP over the turbos actual rating, so anything is possible. I am not trying to insult you, but if you are shooting for 10.76's, your going to need a little more turbo and some tuning.

Question about the stall you have, what is the RPM when you are 0-1PSI of boost? That will give us the correct stall rating for the converter.

HTH,
Zack

Thanks Zack. The previous owner with the stock converter, and stock turbo did a best of 7.2s in the 1/8th. He was also only able to launch at 6-8psi. I was hoping with the a better tune, say bar removed, converter, and boost controller I could squeeze some more out of it. He even pulled the wheel more than I would have expected with the sway bar on. I also noticed his TT notes were not for alky like I have for it. oh well..............I will shoot for at least his previous of 7.2s. Previous owner is a good friend and I have been trying to get this car for two years from him. Finally!!!!!!!!!

7.2 on a stock turbo? That is incredibly fast for a stocker! I knew they were able to get into the 11's but not bottom 11's.

I guess I should add that my motor is .030 over for a reason lol. He did the best pass to date on old motor and stock turbo. Added bigger turbo and converter (still to tight) and car slowed down. I had a post on here as to why the car felt slow down low so I put the stock turbo back on. Car feels faster to me. I still have one of his time slips from a 7.3 in the glove box. I really was not impressed. I have been racing bikes for the past few years so I am use to 5.XX@12X in 1/8th.

The converter needs to be addressed if it slowed down with a bigger turbo. If you have time, take the car out and brake-boost it until you get about 0-1PSI. That will give us the converter specs, and then we can figure out what kind turbo will work well with it. That's if you want to go faster.

So his 7.2 1/8 th was with a different turbo ?
I ran 7.32 1/8 with a 51
8.01 with the stock turbo

Sorry guys for the misinformation. I just got off the phone with previous owner and he explained things! The best ET he ran was with neither turbo, lol. He previously ran a larger turbo (I forget size), that he sold that was not with car. I was confused since I had three different turbos with it. Also, the larger turbo is a Precision 70mm. I thought it was a Ta63 since that is what the notes had on the turbo tweak paperwork but he explained that he sold that one as well and left the tune when he switched to the 70mm. That is pretty huge for this converter since with that turbo it would not build boost on the brakes. At 0psi holding it to the floor it would be around 2450 rpm. I have not tried it today but that is what it was previously with the 70 mm. How much converter would I need for the 70mm then? He suggested that I still run the larger turbo and to get the converter loosened since it was supposed to be a 3700 stall. Seems like quite a bit for a 10'' converter. It is definitely way to tight to be that high. I am watching the classifieds for a good deal on a 9.5". I appreciate all of your feedback and sorry for the confusion.

IMHO, you start with a ET goal..... keeping in mind how much street driving you plan on doing..... then pick the turbo and converter. I would caution you on just slapping the 70 on there and a new converter. Depending on other mods... that is enough to blow the crank out through the oilpan.

If your "goal" is 6.90's in the 1/8...... you don't need a 70.

I'd start with a complete list of mods..... including what heads.... what cam.... etc.

I'd include what turbos you have available (you mention more than one came with the car?)

The value in the feeback you will get here is only as good as what info you feed this thread on the mods you have and what realistic goals you have.