what type of oil?

what weight of oil is best and gives the best protection 10w40,10w50,20w50???

that question lacks enough information to give a reliable answer--------it is like asking what bullet is best for my gun---------an answer would require info like the caliber of the gun-------the distance you intend to shoot-----what you were actually shooting at----etc etc---------exactly what kind of engine do you have-------how many miles are on the engine-----what kind of mods------what kind of use/driving-------what are the bearing clearances-------what kind of buildup-------etc---etc-------since you are on the TB forum it is probably safe to assume it is a 231 turbo-------if its stock the answer is very simple--------the engineers that designed it suggested 10w-30 and 5w-30 in real cold weather---------if 0w-30 existed at the time these engines were built and was reasonably priced that is surely what they would have suggested-------- viscosity is just one small part of the "protection" equation-------older engines require more extreme pressure additives (ie ZDDP) at the levels that they were found in older oils--------additives that are removed or reduced in most oils due to newer emission standards.........RC

We need a lot more info. Stock motor or not? HP? Race car or street car? If rebuilt, check with the builder. If stock, look in th owners manual.

I use 10w30 myself in my RPE motor. According to Jack Cotton, Donnie preferred 10W40 but it is hard to get so he agreed to the more available 10W30.

Conrad

stock motor,street car only asking because i saw somewhere where a guy was using 20w50 and thought the reason may have been for added protection. I usually run 10w30

stock motor,street car only asking because i saw somewhere where a guy was using 20w50 and thought the reason may have been for added protection. I usually run 10w30

If that 10W30 gives you an oil pressure you are happy with, then it's good enough. I run 20W50 in my T because it has the stock oil pump. This gives me about 40psi at highway speeds. In my GN, I ran 10W40 with a high volume pump and it runs at about 55 psi at hiway speed. So, you see ... it's up to you. ;)

Wow! I have a stock pump and it's always over 50lbs at highway speed and over 20lbs idle no matter how hot it is out and I use 10W-30 Amsoil with ZPPD. Switching to Brad Penn next though.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I've lived in Houston my whole life and have never heard of Brad Penn oil. What's so special about it?