what turbo with stock long blocks running 11 -10's

jdub

Just wondering who has a turbo and convertor combos running fast and with what timing. So if your experiemental like me with a stock unopened motor please chime in.

Here is what I have seen over the years....

This is a very tough task you are pursuing.

Converters that have worked well in the range are:
Art Carr 9" non lockup 3000-3500 depending on turbo.
PTC 10" lockup, stall depending on turbo.
PTC 9.5" non lockup 3200-3400 also depending on turbo.
Precision Industries Vigilantie 9.5" lock up, stall depending on turbo.

Any turbo equipped with a P-trim turbine wheel on a stock unopened motor, will love a true 3500-3600 stall non lockup. At this point, with how hard it is to make the power on a stock motor, the quicker we can get the turbo spooled up, the harder we can launch the car. The harder to launch, the better the 60ft. And we're shooting for mid to low 1.5 short times on a 10 second car.

As far as turbos are concerned, typically you will see them ranging in size from 63mm to 67mm compressor wheel size. This would include T63E, (TE45), T64E (TE45a), PT6676H, PT6776H, PT6780H, and CPT66. All of them will support enough hp to push a full weight Buick deep into the 10's with proper bolt ons, but with an unopened stock motor (assuming valve springs and a timing chain have been addressed) bigger is better, for reasons of flow and charge temps at high boost levels, as you will need to push the boost up there.

The 61 series turbos would be very hard to reach 10's on a stock untouched motor in a 3600# car.
The only objection to this would be Precision Turbos new HP6262 turbo. It makes enough power to accomplish this goal.

Timing levels, assuming you mean under WOT, are typically in the 26-27* in all gears to make a stocker scream.
And lastly, unless you are going to run 93 octane with alky injection, VP C-16 race fuel is your friend on a combo like this.
Hope some of this helps.

Patrick

turbo

Seems pretty consistant with a few more opinions from knowledgable people I have spoke with. Any others with an opinion or combos working now.

The smallest its been done with to my knowledge is a TA49. The car went 10.80's unopened. Most struggle to go quicker than 11.40 un-opened no matter what turbo they use. Plan on about 30 psi to run 10's.

I've went mid 11's with a te63, pats 3200 lu, alcohol, and 20*timing with a lousy 1.90 60ft, and wasn't pushing on it too hard.:biggrin:

question

dont want to jack this thread but the topuc is familiar.
a car with say champion heads(studs), a 208 210 cam, and pt54, front mount, 42.5# inj how fast would this combo be able to be pushed on stock type head gaskets?? with alky and on pump gas??

I went 11.4@121 with a PT52/.63, AC3200 9" non lock, bone stock engine and trans minus 100#springs and double roller chain.

11.60's and 117.5mph with a PTE44, huffing into a bone stock unopened 140,000 mile motor. 28# of boost, 26°WOT timing, 114 race gas, sticky tires. Oh, ya, FMIC and 50# injectors.

Anyone running one of the 67 series turbos on a stock long block? Or how do you guys think that would work out?

6776dbb here only been for a few drives but on a hi mile unopend longblock its rockin !! at 21 PSI I am shredding the tires a 60+ mph. comparing it to my mid 11 sec TA this car should smack its ash. I plan on running some 10.70-10-80's without taking a valve cover off.

dual personality

Well this one is going to be a little pampered but tuned to be wicked as possible with out damaging it. I have a 74 buick Apollo on deck for spring to be a Hybred beast. I'm going to base the turbo and convertor combo with cam opened motor. Just curious how well you guys running unopened motors are doing because that really amazes me not building a killer motor. The sweet science of bolt on and great tuning. I've been out of the turbo community for a while till I got my baby out of moth balls. Besides some new mechanical upgrades, I'm also redoing the body and paint work. So you guys keep them coming love to hear more. Please accept my utter most respect on what you guys are doing to unopened motors into 11 and 10's. Everything is being done by myself with some help from friends. I like to thank everyone for the guidance and help.

Look at the times in sig. l put the 63E turbo on in 1998. Harry Hruska talked me into it. :biggrin: I love the 0 pump 5 disc vigilante and stock motor set up. Both of my cars run better than I ever expected. The GN went almost 126MPH on its best run into a 10 MPH headwind and 75 degrees out. So it may go 127-128 I think on a great day.

The TTA with the GT3255 has trapped at 121.The tune could be better too.

My GN has run faster then my buddy with a 6765DBB and the same 5 disc vigilante. The boost was about the same too. Both upper 20s. So I am not sure how much more power the 6765 makes than the old school 63. His best MPH was 122.8 and mine was 125.8. Both cars are set up the same. And we run on the same tracks.

I have a 62/65 BB that I am going to try with a 3200 RPM PTC LU.
One day when I install it I hope it is a great combination...LOL

Anyone running one of the 67 series turbos on a stock long block? Or how do you guys think that would work out?

I am helping out a friend of mine here tune his car and at the last track outing it ran 11.5@122 with a 6776DBB.

It's a Pump gas and alky car with a MAFT Pro on it. The engine is a 105,000mile unopened engine with fresh valve springs. The 60's were in the 1.7's so I think that is where the ET is hiding.

We did have to push it to get it to that MPH, but the 67DBB is a fun turbo at the track and on the street.......

6776dbb here only been for a few drives but on a hi mile unopend longblock its rockin !! at 21 PSI I am shredding the tires a 60+ mph. comparing it to my mid 11 sec TA this car should smack its ash. I plan on running some 10.70-10-80's without taking a valve cover off.

Those timeslips would be nice.

Im in quite the pickle, sold my ta61 and the car was running at 23-25psi low 11s.
I do have a set of 60s and a bb6776 turbo, im almost considering taking it out with that turbo on my current engine to see if it runs any better.

I dont see alot of people running the 67 turbo with stock heads, mine are port matched on the car to match the champion intake(neither gained anything with the small injectors)

It would be nice to get my stock shortblock and trans into the 10.7 range, but not sure if i want to stress either.
BW

PT-51, Orange Crush 3000 12" converter, 206/206 Comp Cams, otherwise stock long block, 27* 1-2, 26* 3rd gear, 25psi......................... 11.08 @ 122mph :eek:

Just put a 6152 and 60's on the car this fall, hope to run the same numbers on pump gas and meth this spring. :biggrin:

T63 and T63e, whats the difference?

Look at the times in sig. l put the 63E turbo on in 1998. Harry Hruska talked me into it. :biggrin: I love the 0 pump 5 disc vigilante and stock motor set up. Both of my cars run better than I ever expected. The GN went almost 126MPH on its best run into a 10 MPH headwind and 75 degrees out. So it may go 127-128 I think on a great day.

The TTA with the GT3255 has trapped at 121.The tune could be better too.

My GN has run faster then my buddy with a 6765DBB and the same 5 disc vigilante. The boost was about the same too. Both upper 20s. So I am not sure how much more power the 6765 makes than the old school 63. His best MPH was 122.8 and mine was 125.8. Both cars are set up the same. And we run on the same tracks.

Wow your car is really moving, is this still on pump fuel and alky? A friend of mine wants to sell me a t63 with a .82 garret exhaust housing and just wanted to know what is the difference between a t63 and a t63e? What exhaust housing are you using on your turbo, and is it a garret or precision?

Thanks,
Marco.

T-Top 86 Grand National 62000 km)
stock long block, stock suspension, 12 inch red stripe convertor (2800stall), te44, smc alk injection (95 % etanol), 25.5lbs boost,( boost spike 28 psi in 1st gear), 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, 42 ½ lbs 009 injectors, turbotweak alky chip with 23/21 timing, thdp, mease 24 row IC, Ron Custom max boost brake module, MT drag radials (275/50/15) 3720lbs race weight with driver. (Torque convertor locked only after car shifted in third), rjc power plate, rjc boost controller, zeitronix wideband, HR motor mounts, comp cam 980 valve springs. Weld Drag Lites with skinnies up front, electric exhaust cut-out.
BEST E/T
60FT=1.53
1/8= 7.25
1/4= 11.48
MPH=120.82
BEST 60FT=1.52

I have a gen 2 with an extender chip and LS1 MAF, hr rear sway bar, no front sway bar, 90/10 lakewood in the front and 50/50 lakewood shocks in the rear with energy suspension poly bushings all over, boxed rear lower control arms. MT 275/60/15 drag radials. Big mouth cold air with an AFE air filter. I did't get a chance to try this set-up. Taking out the stock 109 block and replacing with a rebuilt 109 with 2 center billet main caps, and weisco forged pistons.