What turbo for this combo?

charleslong

Hello guys, its almost that time of year.. (income tax season)
Well, the first thing I plan on doing is getting my transmission fixed. Next thing will be a turbo, b/c I have bad seals in the stock one.
What turbo do you guys think I should get for this combo? Gn1 ported/polished aluminuim heads, 70mm tb kenne bell, 3"down pipe, 3" exhaust, pos 7step chip, and ls1 maf. I will post tranny questions in the tranny section, if any of you guys can help.
Thanks
Charles

Originally posted by salvageV6
What stall and type converter are you going to use?

Im not sure, im trying to get some help on how much more it would cost for a convertor that will handle a turbo in the neighbor hood of say 49,44 or 60.

Oh yeah, I have a eastern performance fmi also.

Thanks
Charles

A stock converter will be fine for a 44 or 49.

If you want to go to a 60 or bigger, I hear the PTS 9x11 converter is a good choice. They sell for around $650.

Ross

Why only go to a 44,49, or 60 with the GN1 heads and the front mount? You can go bigger than that with the right converter and injectors. I like the theory of only spending once so I would suggest going to a larger turbo and getting the supporting converter/injectors.

Originally posted by Look Quick
Why only go to a 44,49, or 60 with the GN1 heads and the front mount? You can go bigger than that with the right converter and injectors. I like the theory of only spending once so I would suggest going to a larger turbo and getting the supporting converter/injectors.

ditto

thanks all,
How much extra would it be if I wanted to get a converter that would be capable of handling a bigger turbo? also meaning that if I were to get a diff converter, I wouldnt need a stock one. I am just trying to figure out a way to keep from paying for a stock unit, if I can get something else with a little extra money if needed.
Charles

I will be selling my polished TE-60 soon. I have to much stall for it right now (3400). I am looking for a 45a or a 65 or larger.
My 60 worked fine with a stock stall.
Let me know if you are interested.

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Buy a 3600-3800 9/11, 72#ers and a te-45a. You already have the heads and IC. Go big the first time so you don't get sick of the smaller turbo and end up going bigger anyway. I wish I had gone with the 45a from the beginning.

My combo would be 3200 stall 9/11 and a BB T-66 P-trim with a .63 housing, 72# injectors, DP fuel pumps and an ME-R chip. Sell that 7 pos chip and the MAF. Hang on bro.

thanks guys
I think that I will just go with a te44 and get a 2800 stall, since it wont be any extra. I cant really afford a gang of stuff right now, my car came with all the stuff that I listed. How much are those big boy turbos that you guys are talking about, and when would I even notice a difference over a 44?
Charles

bb T-66 or a 45a would be a huge difference compared to the 44. I noticed a big difference going from my te-60 to a te-45a. I'm not sure of the price. I think both go for between 900-1200 range. I bought mine from a friend who had 700-800 miles on it for $800 with the pte .63 a/r and ATR's heavy duty wastegate.

I agree! I guess the only thing that would hold me back would be the cost in comparison to the size of turbo. I would however, save enough for the bigger turbo too.
Rather than try and figure in a turbo to fit your combo, I would first find a horsepower goal, then choose a turbo to match your goal. Then find and piece together a combo to fit your turbo. Course cost permitting.
A good reason to do that is, your turbo size will determine your maximum horsepower your engine will have. After that you'll have to match your equipment to get those ponies.
You know what I mean right? (600 hp turbo=600 hp injectors, 600 hp fuel pump, 600hp intercooler, etc.)I mean no sense get involved with a combo limiting you to 400 rwhp, and have a turbo capable for 600 right. Sort of like the tail wagging the dog theory.;)

Originally posted by gokada
I agree! I guess the only thing that would hold me back would be the cost in comparison to the size of turbo. I would however, save enough for the bigger turbo too.
Rather than try and figure in a turbo to fit your combo, I would first find a horsepower goal, then choose a turbo to match your goal. Then find and piece together a combo to fit your turbo. Course cost permitting.
A good reason to do that is, your turbo size will determine your maximum horsepower your engine will have. After that you'll have to match your equipment to get those ponies.
You know what I mean right? (600 hp turbo=600 hp injectors, 600 hp fuel pump, 600hp intercooler, etc.)I mean so sense get involved with a combo limiting you to 400 rwhp, and have a turbo capable for 600 right. Sort of like the tail wagging the dog theory.;)

You are exactly right, cost is a big deal right now. As of right now, I need a tranny, and something to replace my stock turbo. At the sametime, I wanted something that would set back alot. That is why I was looking at a 44 or 49, most likely 44, b/c its only 600 and something. As far as knowing where I want to go with this, im thinking for now, if I can go 11's, that would be great. I think most people look at my current mods and think that I have money to spend. The fact is, this turbo will be the first modification that I have done to this car. I bought the car and it came with all the stuff. It was also not driven that much. What would it take for me to run 11's and how much hp would that equal, or a ball park figure? Just trying to see how far I am from that goal. I can always upgrade turbo's, but I definately need one. If I went any bigger, I would end up having to spend money on a higher stall than a 2800.
Thanks
Charles

If I can run high 11's with my combo and a TA-49, your combo will definitely get you into the mid-low 11's with a TA-49 or TE-44. This is with traction, of course.

I'm sure a 44 will get you in the 11's. Make sure you have enough fuel and injectors. 42's and a Walbro 340 will do it fine. Also I'd go with a 3000 stall if you can. Do the spring cleaning thing ( filters, plugs, wires, etc) and take it to a dyno. Look for about 450 rwhp or better. Slap on some slicks and let her loose at the track. check out the launch section for the "howto's" to get your car off quickly. Good luck!

Look at the pt-61, its the same price as the 44 or 49 and patrick at precision said it will work at the strip w/ a 3000 convertor. That is on the foot brake. it may be a little laggy on the street. that is the same turbo i bought but from limit. Have not tried it yet but hopefully by the end of the month.