What turbo and injectors?

eman035

I've got an 85' t-type that overheated and blew a head gasket. I've got the heads off getting them checked and magnafluxed. The engine maybe has 1000 miles on it since it was rebuilt. Turbo and injectors were supposed to be upgraded also, but i'm not sure if my past mechanic actually did what he said he did. I wish I knew what I know now about the car when I started this project. To get to the point, I wondering if anyone can help me find out what size injectors and turbo I have from some part numbers I found. The turbo is a Garrett and has M10 stamped in it. It also has a tag attached that reads:

Code: TE Model: PGR__E (can't make out two letters)
Garrett P/N: T-3buick/GNX
S/N: 5126CS (the 5 could be S and vice versa)

The writing on the tag is very sloppy so i'm not 100% sure on some of those.

Now, the injectors look like they are old to me, maybe the stock ones but here is the number on those:

they also have two more numbers on them but that was the long one. The others are:
060 and 451

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as i'm trying to get this thing right. Thanks in advance.

Anybody know something that might help? Or maybe where I can send this stuff to and get checked. From what I understand I can't get a chip untill I know injector size and turbo, unless i'm mistaking.

Do the injectors have any color bands on the outside, like a green stripe or red stripe etc?

On the Turbo, sounds like it may be a TE series with a Garret T3 exhaust housing.
Here's a pic of a TE compressor side turbo witrh a non-Garret exhaust housing sitting next to the stocker, notice the intake is different from the stocker, does yours look like that?
http://hometown.aol.com/onebadwskier/images/top-side-by-side.jpg

You can tell if the exhaust side is a Garret style becuase the exhaust housing bolts to the center section with 5 or 6 bolts as compared to the PTE housing which only has 4 bolts, which is what is on the bigger turbo in the above pic.

Here's a pic of the intake side:
http://hometown.aol.com/onebadwskier/images/intake-side-by-side.jpg

The TE series is recognizable because the Turbo inlet Bell is made as part of the compressor housing rather than a bolt on piece like the stocker.

The injectors do not have a red or green stripe, they look old and corroded and they had a small piece of tape (looked like masking tape) around them. As for the turbo I believe it is the stock housing, although it dosen't have the inlet bell like on those in the pictures. The throttle body just bolts directly up to the compressor housing. I will try to get a digital camera and take some pictures of both the injectors and turbo and try to post them here or at least maybe e-mail them.

Originally posted by eman035
The throttle body just bolts directly up to the compressor housing.
Oh, I did not catch that you had an '85 ...yes completely different than those pics I showed you for an 86/87. You might try posting this in the Hot Air section, and pics will help.

Thats funny, I posted the same thing in the hot air forum and someone suggested I post it here. I will definitely get some pics though.

f64fcb13.jpg

f64fcb1b.jpg

f64fcb22.jpg

f64fcb16.jpg

f64fcb1d.jpg

Here are some pictures of the turbo and injector. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

if someone told you you have upgraded injectors theyre lying

from gnttype.org

Bosch (Stock GN) 0-280-150-218 29.8 lbs/hr

they are old stock injectors

Thats kinda what I was afraid of. Could those old injectors be bad and cause the car to run rich? When the car was running it was very rich, the O2's were up to 1.0 and you could smell it when it was idling. Also, what injectors should I run? I plan on getting injectors, hot-wire kit, AFPR, headers, downpipe, crossover, already have up pipe (ATR), and making the wastegate adjustable. I also plan on getting necessary gauges and a chip burnt for the above. I can't wait to get this thing back together and tuned right. Thanks again for the help.

Thats kinda what I was afraid of. Could those old injectors be bad and cause the car to run rich? When the car was running it was very rich, the O2's were up to 1.0 and you could smell it when it was idling. Also, what injectors should I run? I plan on getting injectors, hot-wire kit, AFPR, headers, downpipe, crossover, already have up pipe (ATR), and making the wastegate adjustable. I also plan on getting necessary gauges and a chip burnt for the above. I can't wait to get this thing back together and tuned right. Thanks again for the help.

I have some 009s i just posted on ebay w/three chips burned for these injectors. They are in mint condition, but will work something if your interested. BTW the chips i have are really nice, two JL one a racing chip the other a street chip. Also i have the newest Extender Chip which is programmable...pretty cool stuff. Lemme know

jojo

do you have any codes stored ?
check your o2 sensor(and wiring), never seen a 1.0 reading on an o2 , a bad o2 will cause rich condition, make sure all your plugs are firing (good wires and plugs are correct range and not fouled)
if you're still running rich , check fuel pressure , could be too high , if its the stock 233 it cant be adjusted but that doesnt mean its correct, you may have a bad regulator or a restricted return line sending fuel pressure up , should be around 36 at idle with the vac line to the pressure regulator disconected.

lastly you may have a stuckinjector thats not closing it may be spraying fuel constantly, they can be checked while on the car but you will need a fuel gauge and an injector pulse tester

if your oil smells like fuel you are probably really rich and it will need to be changed, dont wait

you could try to run some cleaner in the tank (tuolene ) to clean the injectors or just replace them , racetronix has injectors on sale

I am interested, could you send me the link to your ebay auction or send me an e-mail with some prices so we can work something out. Also, are those chips for an 84/85 ECM? If not then I can't use them, but I would still be interested in the injectors. Those are 42.5#'s right?

pacecarta

there were no codes stored before I pulled the heads off, I also checked fuel pressure before and it was good (stock regulator). The O2 sensor was also replaced and still same rich condition. Hopefully those old injectors were the problem, I couldn't go above about 3/4 throttle without the car breaking up and a bunch of black smoke comming out the pipes. What size injectors would you reccomend with the above modifications being performed? I don't want to go to big or too small. Thanks for the help.

I am interested, could you send me the link to your ebay auction or send me an e-mail with some prices so we can work something out. Also, are those chips for an 84/85 ECM? If not then I can't use them, but I would still be interested in the injectors. Those are 42.5#'s right?

Heres the ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=4503183823&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT

The chips are for the injectors not sure if there is any problems with the year of the car, maybe some of the other guys can chime in on that one. Yep 42.5# green stripe lucas. If you are interested in the injectors, i will work something out with you.

thax

jojo