What to trim off of perma dry gaskets?

87lc2/wo2

I just ordered a Fel Pro permadry valvecover gasket set. Does anyone know exactly what part needs to be trimmed and if so, do you have any pics, and what tool would you use? Should there be anything to hold the gasket inplace when attaching them to the valve cover? Is simple green good to use to degrease the valve covers, or should I use brake-kleen?

Hi,
Good call on your part,as a few of us neglect the covers,and then they leak. When I did my rebuild, I used the cork gaskets that came with the felpro kit. I am not familiar with the permadry model. What I did was to use permatex ultra as an adhesive and sealant,then put them on at 20 inchpounds,rotating the torque several times. It must have worked, because after 6000 miles, I have minimal leaks. I run this car hard every time I take it out, so if it was gonna leak,it would have started to do it by now! That permatex ultra is great stuff. If you want to trim your gasket, I assume it has tabs on it that are designed for the n/a stamped steel covers. I have a Craftsman Accucut, sort of like a pair of garden cutters with a razor in it that makes a perfect cut all the time. If you follow my instructions,you won't have leaks. Good luck with sealing issues!

If i remember correctly i think i had to trim the corners some.I used a die grinder and kept the heat down,just alittle at a time.