What to look for?

gnis2quick

I just bought a 78 malibu with a 86-87 GN motor with a 400 tranny and a roll cage.I want to take it to the track cuz i think it does at least 12's but i dont want to mess anything up. i know they have done a few upgrades but not sure what brand stuff. The dog house and the throttle body are bigger. i think the turbo might be upgraded but looks like a stock garrett one. It has a 3'' maf pipe and a rigged turbo bell that they have welded for the 3 inch pipe. i changed the plugs, the oil reseted the tps sensor changed the MAF. what else should i look for? what else should i do? any advise would be appreciated. thanks

turn the boost down, scan every run and ease up on the boost and the tune. Rather to make 5 trips to the track and get it tuned right rather than one trip and go home on the hook. If you are local to me you are welcome to call me and I will be more than ahppy to go out and help you.

but what should be the stock setting on this motor. what should i set boost @ and what should i set fuel pressure @. Also where can i get all the vacuum diagrams. and stock sensor reading/settings. thanks

Scantool.

Make sure numbers are correct.. then work on turning it up.

Do lots of reading in the scantool section.. chips section.. etc.. learn to tune it at low boost.. then work on turning it up.

HTH

PS.. there is no McDonalds when it comes to this stuff.. takes patience and time.