What to do???

TR87386

Before calling around for pricing figured I would get some opinions. I am on the long road to getting every issue with the car squared away. While apart I have discovered a few obvious issues that would contribute to a KR problem that I have been chasing for quite some time. (bad hose connections @ intake, broken motor mount, oil leaks, exhaust leaks) While apart I inspected the turbo and intercooler... oil in the intercooler and shaft play on the 49 that has been on the car for 10 years and 40,xxx miles. My plan was to get the car back together, and continue trouble shooting/tuning without making major changes to the existing combo. Future plans included a DBB turbo, PTE SLIC Alky and Ported Irons. The car is 95% street driven but does see the track every year. Also the 49 spools instantly, and when I put the converter in the car I made that choice knowing that a larger turbo was in my future so currently it's kind of mismatched. I looked into a rebuild for the 49 but that seems like a waste not knowing what it will take to make it right plus I could use a little more turbo for the converter I have. The motor in the car is unopened stock besides new valve springs, has good oil psi and compression. Funds are limited but if the diff in performance is big enough between journal bearing vs ball bearing might have to find the extra $ somewhere. Mods in sig... what would you guys do? -Patrick

I would check on the timing gear/chain and replace if still stock to start with. Turbo's come in all different sizes and colors, but they all do the same thing, make boost. Personally I can't justify a BB at this time, and if I where you I would get the 49 rebuilt, install the alky system and turn the boost up. (as long as you have a handle on your tune before turning boost up).

Chuck

I was in a similar place this Spring - have my TE-44 rebuilt or get a new turbo. I decided to get a 6262 journal bearing turbo. Your 3000 stall converter should be plenty for it as I have a "3000" stall 12" converter and live at 5400' and the spool is acceptable.

Got in touch with Cottons, talked with Jack (great guy). Decided to just go for it. Only live once right.Going to swing by his shop monday to pick up my brandy new turbo/PTE intercooler.:tongue: Not 100% on the exact turbo I will end up with but looks like a 60/62 BB. Got some great info on an issue I am having with my converter also (older Pro-Torque 10.5"LU) I might not have to completely shelf it!!