what to do in raleigh

Turbo317

Hey guys,

im currently in raleigh checking out the area and so far i like it and would like to move here. whats there to do in the area? any dragstrips close by? Whats the car scene like? any help would be appreciated.

TIA

I'm sure that Twinvipers or KH440 will chime in soon. Good luck with you decision to look here in NC. You won't be let down. If you need some parts for the regal there happens to be someone 2 hours east of Raleigh that may have a "few" parts you might need. ;) Welcome to N.C.!! (early)

Other than the heat and humidity it's not bad, may want to look in Apex and Morrisville as far as housing (better values than the metro Ral area). Fair variety as far as nightlife, beach and mountains well within 1/2 days drive, (Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall is amazing!) some nice state parks,not to mention the former Stanley Cup champion Hurricanes. not a very organized car scene however, other than grill 57 (3rd Saturday of every month from April to October), usually 3 or 4 "major" shows within a 50 mile radius during the spring and summer, and Auto Fair down in Charlotte twice a year. Closest 1/4 mile strips are Rockingham and Fayetteville each about 90 miles from the triangle. There is a fairly strong turbo contingency in the area, including a couple of really good tuners....

if you don't mind traveling there is a dragstrip in kinston, and the outer banks raceway in creswell, on the coast and kinston is near the coast, i live in wasington, n.c. so i know of these too, they're in my area somewhat, you also have rockingham where they did a pinks all out, that is near charlotte

I'm near the 1/4 mile track in Fayetteville, about an hour and fifteen minutes away... We definately need a stronger TR showing down here...

how are the taxes and the cost of living here? i hear that they are alot cheaper than up north. Seems like there alot of jobs here also? thanks for the input so far

You can usually find a job in almost every field except textiles. Best tax rates are in Chatham, Alamance, and Johnston Counties. Wake, Orange and Durham are the worst, especially Raleigh and Cary for property tax. (still waayyyy better than New England/New York however) Average price for a gallon of gas is around 2.72. What kind of work are you pursuing??

You can usually find a job in almost every field except textiles. Best tax rates are in Chatham, Alamance, and Johnston Counties. Wake, Orange and Durham are the worst, especially Raleigh and Cary for property tax. (still waayyyy better than New England/New York however) Average price for a gallon of gas is around 2.72. What kind of work are you pursuing??

i am a mechanic, i work at a chevy dealer in pittsburgh. i know its not the best but its what i do. I went to hedrick in cary yesterday and he was interested in me to work there, just had to let him know when i was ready. Im single and 25 so moving shouldnt be to hard. Have any hookups at dealerships or shops around?

I know Thompson Cadillac on Wake Forest Rd was looking for techs, pretty much all the dealers are though. I work for a Hendrick owned store in Chapel Hell, and I can tell you the money is decent, good benefits, but working all day on Saturday blows! (rotating weekends) whereas Thompson is closed Sat-Sun.

I know Thompson Cadillac on Wake Forest Rd was looking for techs, pretty much all the dealers are though. I work for a Hendrick owned store in Chapel Hell, and I can tell you the money is decent, good benefits, but working all day on Saturday blows! (rotating weekends) whereas Thompson is closed Sat-Sun.

im not worried about working satudays, i like the hours. but hedrick a good company to work for?? i am hoping to come look around chapel hill this week sometime. i have a cousin there but i cannot get ahold of her! thanks for your help

sending you pm with our service directors' name/contact info

Overall Hendrick Auto Group is pretty good. Things about them I don't like but you'll find that anywhere. Like I said the pay is in line with what most everybody around here offers and some really good benefits, and with as many franchises as they own, if you want to try something different at another store that could be arranged.....

I live in Raleigh.. there are a couple of tracks close by.. Dunn Benson, Brewers and Piedmont are within an hour. All 1/8th mile. Brewers and Dunn Benson are a little rough.

If I were moving here right now, I would look to buy in Clayton. Thats the next BIG area here, it just hasnt blown up yet like Apex and Morrisville has.

I live in Raleigh.. there are a couple of tracks close by.. Dunn Benson, Brewers and Piedmont are within an hour. All 1/8th mile. Brewers and Dunn Benson are a little rough.

If I were moving here right now, I would look to buy in Clayton. Thats the next BIG area here, it just hasnt blown up yet like Apex and Morrisville has.

I listened to this exact advice and I love it here in Clayton, NC. I moved here from NYC back in Jan as my job relocated me. My office is in Downtown Raleigh which is being re-done and is looking great. Clayton has now taken the name of Cary Like Area Yankees Trying Out Now. :biggrin: It is blowing up and is some great living. C'mon down there is some great TR guys down here who dont mind helping on a hot Saturday...

thanks for all the help guys, i looked around and stayed in cary for a few days and liked it there. the hole area i really liked. I am now back in pittsburgh, i have another weeek of vacation to burn before the end of the year, so i will most likely make another trip to the area.