What to do first.

87witttops

Hey guys. Finally got my first grand national this week. I've had mustangs all my life so all new to me. Car is a 87 grand national t top and 72000 miles. Great shape. All stock. So I was wondering what is the first thing to add on to get a little more power or what should I upgrade in general. Thanks.

Congratulations!! I was in the same position as you are right now last year. I owned Mustangs but my first car was a GN. I would visit the gnttype.org website and follow the spring cleaning guide. Then get all the gauges required, find a very nice honest GN mechanic. I am fortunate here in BG, Ky to have several gentlemen whom I can ask question too. One owns a garage here and the others own or have owned TR's. Read on here a bunch.
They are tons more fun to drive than Mustangs in my opinion. Have fun!! Post some pics tell us more about it.

Hey guys. Finally got my first grand national this week. I've had mustangs all my life so all new to me. Car is a 87 grand national t top and 72000 miles. Great shape. All stock. So I was wondering what is the first thing to add on to get a little more power or what should I upgrade in general. Thanks.

Welcome aboard, the first thing you should do is educate yourself on these awesome cars. There is an amazing amount of info here. First and foremost what makes these cars fast is in its tune, do yourself a favor and purchace the necessary tuning equipment to get your car running its best first before you upgrade anything. The first mistake people make is hey start to upgrade

I too, had a fox-body mustang. This GN was my wife's dream car. I tried to race a GN with my mustang. I tried to punch it, and whoosh...GN gone!! So I couldn't beat them so...I joined them!!! These are the best cars period. Read up on all websites and go thru your vacuum hoses and tune up. Check if you have a stock chip...if you do, get a Turbo Tweak chip...you won't regret it. Get a boost gauge and a Scanmaster before you start hot-dogging it. When I purchased mine, I found out the hardway by hot-dogging it and melted a piston! Don't think that you'll do nothing extra to your car, because you will!!!
If you purchase bigger turbos and injectors, go as big as you can afford. I upgraded at least 3 times. Have fun and welcome to the Darkside!

Read this site, http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/ also when you get a chance.
Welcome to the world of Buick Turbo's !! Have fun !! Be prepared to love/hate your car at any moment.....

Chuck

X2 my car spends more time apart than together. The latest, had my turbo rebuilt last November,installed it in May, just removed it today due to a oil leak with less Han a 100 miles on it. Back to Percision Turbo on Monday. It's deffently a love hate relationship.

x2 on the scan tool if you don't already have one! should be the first mod you do that way you have an idea what might need to be fixed, upgraded or out of spec.

Next your biggest bang for buck is alky, need a matched chip for that.

Scanmaster. I would verify things like boost psi. Fuel pressure. General running of the car. I would look at the fuel system before I did anything.

The previous owner gave me six crates of stuff. Also a box of all switches and other stuff he replaced. Think he replaced every switch and sensor possible. Been raining here past two days so haven't dig into car yet. Drove it home about hour away and no problems just some brake pulsation