What timing chain to use??

smokinttype

The time has come to replace the stock timing chain. What is the best one to use on a basically stock car with a few mods. Ive heard different stories and really like to know what is the best for this application. Some say double is too tight, some say change the springs out at the same time, some say it doesnt matter, some say use a tensioner, some say dont, some reply and dont know what they are talking about....lol and Im out in left field without a glove. :(

Thanks!

Matt,

I would go with a double roller thats my 2 cents worth. Don't have to worry about the tensioner anymore nor the plastic busting off and eating your motor up.

I had good luck with the Cloyes true roller and the Comp cams double roller.

I put a Edelbrock double roller in my car and havent noticed any issues. I also did a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket, along with a new pickup tube. Didnt touch the pump, just cleaned the cover off.

Use GM gaskets for the timing cover. I hear the aftermarkets will leak. I think I paid $10 or so for mine, and the Delco pickup tube and gasket were $30 total, IIRC. Depending on mileage, you can do valvesprings at the same time. I didnt because Im not experiencing any float, but I'm hoping to do them in the next month or too (tax season sucked for me). At least change the VC gaskets, use the cork ones.

I think I paid $53 for the Edelbrock chain. I also use a new GM needle bearing cam button as well.

HTH.

sloppy

I have a comp double in mine it came in a complete cam kit i bought, when i put it in it was fine but 7 yes only 7 miles later zero oil pressure. and im not blaming the timing set but when i pulled the motor back apart it had some play in it. the cam gear would very slightly move before the crank gear. dont know how or why that happened but i didnt figure that would be much good for my timing. may have just got a bad one or may have been sumthing i did, thats just my experience.

One question on the valve springs. Ive noticed that a lot of people eventually come across have their cams flattened out over time. Do you guys think that increasing valve spring pressure will eventually flatten down a cam in our cars? I wouldnt mind replacing my timing chain but Im thinking that upgrading my valve springs will eventually wear out my camshaft? any input?

If it feels good do it!

to my1stgn that is why i bought my cam kit cause i wiped out 2 lobes off the cam went to a roller now something else will give before that wears out. and to smokinttype please dont turn away from comp because of me, i had one in my 468 BBC and never had a problem. not sure why mine did what it did but they make top notch parts so i say go with them and dont look back. its a gamble with any part any brand.

" What is the best one to use on a basically stock car with a few mods. "

Single row steel gears with upgraded roller cam button and a new tensioner.

Got mine locally for one car, got another set from Postons for the other car.

Comp. cams. 980 valve springs with no factory cups give you the right spring pressure for the car and shouldn't wipe your cam. :smile:

rollmaster... be sure and remove and discard the plastic chain tensioner when you install the double roller..