what suspension/chassis components do you guys run.

xsbc63x

when i drive my tta around, especially at higher speeds it has that we noodle feeling (the same feeling i get in my supra with the targa top off) so i was wondering what you guys run on these cars? i know these cars have a rough/loose ride in general but just looking to stiffen, and tighten it up a bit.

i currently have rear LCA's and a panhard rod, and all the urethane bushings on the front lca's and will be getting some subframe connectors this week, but what else is out there, and what worked best for you?

strut tower brace? what ones work on the TTA?
steering brace? again what ones work on the TTA if any?
torque arm with crossmember?

i did a search and got some info, but it was old, has anything newer came out?
i see a lot of stuff, but not sure if it fits the tta.

any help appreciated!

when i drive my tta around, especially at higher speeds it has that we noodle feeling (the same feeling i get in my supra with the targa top off) so i was wondering what you guys run on these cars? i know these cars have a rough/loose ride in general but just looking to stiffen, and tighten it up a bit.

i currently have rear LCA's and a panhard rod, and all the urethane bushings on the front lca's and will be getting some subframe connectors this week, but what else is out there, and what worked best for you?

any help appreciated!

Using bilstein shocks but haven't found a good alternative for 20 yr old stock springs. I'd like to tighten it up also.

i have only added sfc and wonder bar so far...

stock wonder bar fits on the tta - just needs to be installed upside down...

car_89_wonderbar.jpg

Hi!

In the 1st place you don't need a strut tower brace, it's completely useless on an F body. The F body has triple layerd strut towers. What is needed is a steering box brace, I got mine from Global West. I also got my springs from them, they are competetion springs. I choose Koni adjustable shocks and struts. For the torque arm I got a Spohn, it is adjustable, bolts in and comes with 1 or 2 drive shaft loops.
If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

Here's some websites.
Global West Performance auto parts store
Suspension & Chassis | Camaro, Firebird, F-Body | Spohn Performance

I respect Frank's advice, but on this I think it's a stretch to say a strut tower brace is useless. It cut down on T-top squeak and made the car pitch in better, And if you've ever driven a convertible F body the strut tower brace makes the car as quiet as a church mouse. My convertibles dash would shake,rattle over the slightest road irregularity and that's gone now with the 3 point brace.
Now, the BMR 2 point fits the TTA just fine with plenty of clearance, but since I've started to race the car I took the 2 point off for weight savings and it's a PIA to work around the brace.
Now, if it were a street driven car only It'd still be on there.

t-top008.jpg

wonderbar = steering box brace.

yes - my research also led to stb is not needed on 3rd gen cars... a wonderbar is. i installed my sfc at the same time so i obviously noticed a difference - but i'm sure most of it came from the sfc.

try bmr,spohn or umi for all the suspension u need. I have a 4th gen camaro with all mods u can see on those sites. previous owners installed,handles like a mofo best handling camaro i had. ive owned 2nd and 3rd gen camaros and t/a's.also if it can be done get a k- member to accept rack n pinion worlds difference.

I used Metco stuff. Works great for me. I launch at whatever PSI I want and it hooks, and I can take corners as fast as my tires allow.

Jason

Does anyone have better pics of the wonder bar installed?

I've got kenne brown double diamond subframe connectors , their lower control arms and their panhard bar. Also the poly trans to TQ arm bar.
Seems to handle well but that poly mount thunks when going fwd to rev

[QUOTE

Hi All!

1st I'd like to say Thanks to WS6 and SMILEY for there very positive feed back on this old boys response to this thread. It inspired me to elaberate. Of course I did pay them but HEY! who's counting.:smile:
I must admit that the Wonder Bar gave me pause but, SMILEY pointed out that the Wonder Bar IS a steering box brace and is needed as I said. Here's why! The 3rd Gen F body has a gear box not rack and pinion. This gb is mounted to the inner driver side fender (sheet metal). This allows the inner fender to flex which then in turn gives you a sloppy unresponsive feeling in the wheel not to mention the damage it does to the mounting area. The gb brace (hence Wonder Bar) will prevent these unwanted negatives. To me, it was a no BRAINER!
Now to address WS6's strong support for the stut tower brace. I to bought a Kenne Bell 3 point brace (which has never been used and still hangs in my garage) untill I learned about the gb brace and sub frame connectors. I honestly beleive the sbfc's is the most important and 1st suspention mod a person can make. It's a matter of taste on the style, bolt in or weld in. I prefer the weld in, stronger and becomes a solid piece of the car.

[QUOTE

Hi All!

1st I'd like to say Thanks to WS6 and SMILEY for there very positive feed back on this old boys response to this thread. It inspired me to elaberate. Of course I did pay them but HEY! who's counting.:smile:
I must admit that the Wonder Bar gave me pause but, SMILEY pointed out that the Wonder Bar IS a steering box brace and is needed as I said. Here's why! The 3rd Gen F body has a gear box not rack and pinion. This gb is mounted to the inner driver side fender (sheet metal). This allows the inner fender to flex which then in turn gives you a sloppy unresponsive feeling in the wheel not to mention the damage it does to the mounting area. The gb brace (hence Wonder Bar) will prevent these unwanted negatives. To me, it was a no BRAINER!
Now to address WS6's strong support for the stut tower brace. I to bought a Kenne Bell 3 point brace (which has never been used and still hangs in my garage) untill I learned about the gb brace and sub frame connectors. I honestly beleive the sbfc's is the most important and 1st suspention mod a person can make. It's a matter of taste on the style, bolt in or weld in. I prefer the weld in, stronger and becomes a solid piece of the car.

agreed. i have weld on sfc on the tta and bolt on sfc on my '98. i've never had nor seen a reported problem with bolt on sfc. however no one makes them for the tta... you'll need to get weld on sfc and have fun with a welder on the passenger side (unless you plan on dropping the exhause as there isn't much room over there).

car_89_ta_sfc-exhaust.jpg

car_89_ta_sfc--passclearance.jpg

driver side = no problem...

car_89_ta_sfc--driver.jpg

when i drive my tta around, especially at higher speeds it has that we noodle feeling (the same feeling i get in my supra with the targa top off) so i was wondering what you guys run on these cars? i know these cars have a rough/loose ride in general but just looking to stiffen, and tighten it up.

Howdy xsbc63x!

I made an error in the address for Global West, it's globalwest.net. I used the old address, this is the new one. They have the Wander Bar for $40 plus change. Note that the name is not a ty-po, it's what it was origanly called. It was an option from GM. They also still have the springs and shocks. Check this stuff out and call them. Great stuff and knowlegable, helpfull folks.

All this talk about the wander bar is getting me ready to buy one for the TTA I'm currently trying to sell!

Yes my sub frame connectors are welded on my car too. Anything else for these cars?

QUOTE agreed. i have weld on sfc on the tta and bolt on sfc on my '98. i've never had nor seen a reported problem with bolt on sfc. however no one makes them for the tta... you'll need to get weld on sfc and have fun with a welder on the passenger side (unless you plan on dropping the exhause as there isn't much room over there).

Hey SMILEY!

No disrespect intended here and none taken. This is just a comment that comes from years of working on my hot rod. If I had a shot of Tequila for every time I've heard the statement (i've never had nor seen a reported problem) I would have died from alcohal poisining many years ago! One lesson I have learned about these turbo cars (quite well I must add) is that any symtom you may have, could be anything! I worked as a Millwright/outside machinist for 30 years in a chemical plant here on the Houston ship channel (loads of fun). I became very aware of looking out for your own butt. That means, don't relie on what's reported or passed along, go to an actual sorce. You know, like for this question (bolt in or welded). The sorce would be a pipe fitter and a good mechanic, not someone trying to sell you parts. Well! Just sayin!

QUOTE I respect Frank's advice, but on this I think it's a stretch to say a strut tower brace is useless. It cut down on T-top squeak and made the car pitch in better, And if you've ever driven a convertible F body the strut tower brace makes the car as quiet as a church mouse. My convertibles dash would shake,rattle over the slightest road irregularity and that's gone now with the 3 point brace.
Now, the BMR 2 point fits the TTA just fine with plenty of clearance, but since I've started to race the car I took the 2 point off for weight savings and it's a PIA to work around the brace.
Now, if it were a street driven car only It'd still be on there.

Howdy WS6!

I'm not dissn your view here, I just want to ask you if you've tried sfc's? If not, it's cool by me but, they make all the difference in the world when it comes to unibodies. They make the car a full body frame. With out them you can't really tune in your suspension. Even with your strut tower brace that front clip is still moving independently to the rear section. For example: When you use a jack one tire stays on the ground. When you have sfc's 1 jack point will lift the entire side, no matter where you put the jack. Now that's cool, you gotta admit. But putting that aside, I thank you for your vote of confedence.
ta

Yessir! I run SFC's on both the 92 'vert and the TTA. They are always the first thing I do or suggest for someone.

On the 92 the SFC's made the car ride and sound like a T-top car without SFC's,but adding the 3 point strut tower base tightend it right up. No more dash rattles or doors coming ajar.

Like I was kind of eluding too, the STB on my TTA ended up being a PITA to work around and since the car sees more track time than street time it made sense to lose it. It's just too hard to work around.

The STB made big difference in the convertible and a mild difference in the T-top TTA, and if I were more into throwing the TTA into high speed corners I'd still be running the 2 point STB.