What stall works best?

1dollardog

Are we there yet?
I have a used D5 converter from an 86 GN that I am going to have rebuilt soon. Local tranny shop said that they can restall it if I want to have it done. The tech said that they have done several for the IC cars but I don't think they have done one for a hot air. What stall speed would work best with my set up and stock turbo? Only future mod planned would be alky. I just feel that I need something a little higher than what I have now. This thing is a dog off the line.
Thanks, Steve

I have a used D5 converter from an 86 GN that I am going to have rebuilt soon. Local tranny shop said that they can restall it if I want to have it done. The tech said that they have done several for the IC cars but I don't think they have done one for a hot air. What stall speed would work best with my set up and stock turbo? Only future mod planned would be alky. I just feel that I need something a little higher than what I have now. This thing is a dog off the line.
Thanks, Steve

One opinion- I put in a 2800 stall converter and I am very happy with it. If you use a larger turbo than ta33c you may want too raise the stall convertor. Do some homework. Brad

Thanks, Steve

Steve,
I am sure you found the anwer by now, but the real answer is "it depends".
Theere are factors that can not be controlled such as "your definition of lag", "engine condition", and the "final tune".
A "tune" can either reduce or create lag, therefore changing the stall requirement.
So, it depends on a lot of factors.
For a stock cam/stock turbo setup, I'd say a stock stall. (Whatever that is ;) )

Steve,
I am sure you found the anwer by now, but the real answer is "it depends".
Theere are factors that can not be controlled such as "your definition of lag", "engine condition", and the "final tune".
A "tune" can either reduce or create lag, therefore changing the stall requirement.
So, it depends on a lot of factors.
For a stock cam/stock turbo setup, I'd say a stock stall. (Whatever that is ;) )

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what answer I was looking for but no I haven't found it yet:biggrin: . I think my real problem is that my trans and/or converter isn't working right. Since my mods, the engine runs great and has good power/torque and no kr up to 15psi, however, I'd bet my grandmother on a 10 speed bicycle could beat me for the first 20 feet. I just can't seem to build good psi at the line. Maybe it is a turbo issue but it just seems to me that if the stall was a little higher that it would spool better and launch better. One reason that I think that it might be a tranny issue is that when the car is cool it shifts firm and when it should, but when it has some heat in it the tranny gets very sluggish and flairs somewhat between all gears and when you get on it the tranny shoots into second gear somewhere around 2000rpm at wot. I had this problem posted in the trany section but have had no response to it.

What will it stall to now and how much boost is it building,and how long are you trying to let it build???

What will it stall to now and how much boost is it building,and how long are you trying to let it build???

Going by the dummy lights on the factory tach it appears to be stalling at around 22-2300rpm and boosts up to around 7/8 psi and would hold at that psi and rpm untill I let off the brake. (I'm pretty sure these numbers are correct, I need to check again and pay closer attention). The car will not launch hard at all and doesn't build any real power untill it starts rolling and rpm's and boost goes up.

Sounds like my old set-up. :mad:
Any markings on the current converter in the car?

Sounds like my old set-up. :mad:
Any markings on the current converter in the car?

I haven't even looked. When I find time I'll pull the shield and see if I can find some. I actually have another stock tranny from an 84 ttype. I was thinking of having it rebuilt and using this D5.

22-2300rpm and boosts up to around 7/8 psi

just wondering since i don't know. At what psi will these cars with the stock turbo start to make good power? My car would build 10 psi off the brake but on the street it'll kill the tires if you spool it up to 4-5 psi and try to take off and its got 275 50 bfg drag radials. Seems like it should pull pretty good out of the whole at 7 psi