What stall to get

ScottyG

Just trying to figure out what stall speed convertor to get!
Janis just built my stage 2 200r4 & switch it over to NL!

Car has stock motor with just rjc PP , blue tops,alky , TT chip, 3in DP & single 3in exhaust, stock turbo 22-24psi TT

I was looking at the 10in PTC 2800 or 3200 stall? I know it all depends on my set up! But let's say I upgrade the turbo & get PP heads down the road my goal is around 120-125 trap speed I do a lot of runs in Mexico

More than likely I was goin to get the 2800 stall. You guys been around these cars longer than me,and know how they react. just wanted some opinions before I pull the trigger

I think most will say a 2800 , I'm a rookie hear and you can see in my signature my upgrades and thats the stall i'm gonna go with also , Keith

I wouldn't buy a converter yet. Figure out what you're doing first. Pretty much the best converter for the stock turbo is the stock converter. Wait until you know / have changed turbos to ask this question.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't buy a converter yet. Figure out what you're doing first. Pretty much the best converter for the stock turbo is the stock converter. Wait until you know / have changed turbos to ask this question.

I'm not changing the turbo or heads anytime soon! And I plan ahead that's why the trans is built and switch it over to NLU. So think of it as I have the turbo (6262) and head work! So what stall

Just trying to figure out what stall speed convertor to get!
Janis just built my stage 2 200r4 & switch it over to NL!

Car has stock motor with just rjc PP , blue tops,alky , TT chip, 3in DP & single 3in exhaust, stock turbo 22-24psi TT

I was looking at the 10in PTC 2800 or 3200 stall? I know it all depends on my set up! But let's say I upgrade the turbo & get PP heads down the road my goal is around 120-125 trap speed I do a lot of runs in Mexico

More than likely I was goin to get the 2800 stall. You guys been around these cars longer than me,and know how they react. just wanted some opinions before I pull the trigger
Give me a call, I will spec a converter for you.

I wouldn't buy a converter yet. Figure out what you're doing first. Pretty much the best converter for the stock turbo is the stock converter. ........

In April 1987 I drove my new T to ATR when they were in the Sacramento area, and had Phil install his exhaust, a chip and a few other items including a 10" non-lock up converter.

At 9500 mile now it was, and still is, very responsive and is a 12 sec. ride the with very few track visits, and still is awesome on the street!

The non-lock up and size improved performance, but never could tell any difference cruising the highway.

Most owners and shops pick a converter too tight for street performance, and I have proven this to at least 1/2 dozen owners so far this year. :)

You know I respect your knowledge Nick. My experience although limited compared to yours differs. I ran 11.55 @119.5 on the stock converter unlocked with a 6266. I swapped it to a 3200 10" PTC and that was the worst thing I've ever done to the car. I dont have any good data on the 9.5 PTC I have now but it feels much better. I should have quite a bit of testing to do when I get the heads on I just bought from you :)

I drove the 2800 stall PTC 10" lock up with my stock engine for about a week. Hated it, worst mod I ever did.. Didn't drive it until I could get it out of there. It did spool the GT6131 turbo but it felt like slush and slipped like a bastard that top end. Switched to a 12" Pat's 2800 and was very happy. Felt much better on the street and still spooled the turbo well. That converter went 11.3 and probably could have gone more.

Dont focus too much on stall , Change to a 58mm turbo and Dave's 3021 converter you will be very happy..

You know I respect your knowledge Nick. My experience although limited compared to yours differs. I ran 11.55 @119.5 on the stock converter unlocked with a 6266. I swapped it to a 3200 10" PTC and that was the worst thing I've ever done to the car...........

The issue with converters is not so much "mechanical", but the stall rating from the manufacturer, this is a number based upon their guess, or arbitrarily assigned by them?

The PTC for example in my experience is rated on the low side to most of the converters I have used which is about 10 different brands. Almost every PTC's we used needed to have the stall raised for our applications?

Depending on the build, it may take one or more tries to optimize the converter stall for a given car and owner.

Thanks everyone for the help And advice !! gave David a call yesterday and we talk for good amount of time, I think over a hour lol really good guy and I order one from him! I told him my plans and said I really don't care if I lose any power with the stock turbo for the time being! I always plan ahead Anyways! He hooked me up, can't wait for it to come in now!