what stall for my set up

oddiesGN

My 87 GN has new engine, but built back to stock, has 60# injectors, tt chip, e85 fuel, ta 49 turbo, no cat, dual exhaust, no exhaust leaks, every thing else stock. I do have a new boost controller on its way that I just ordered yesterday. My turbo lag is much worse now then before, I know that my stock elbow and down pipe hurt, but what stall would work the best, what stall speed, the brand, do I want lock up or non lock up, where to get it, would like one around $500 or cheaper, don't need a all out racing converter. The car will be a driver and raced once in awhile. I plan on getting the down pipe and elbow this winter or should I get that first and the stall later. My goal is faster 60 ft times. The only track that I have that is close to me is an 1/8th mile track, so I need the boost fast.

Ta49 works well with 2800 stall. 3000 stall would be nice too but might be too loose on the road. I am a fan of precision vigilante converters. They flash nice but arent really "loose". The 3600 i had in my old car :)snif:) drove a *little* looser than stock but flashed nice when you cracked the throttle. Spooled my ole 63 like a stocker. Anyway, that 49 should spool nice with even a stock converter. Maybe the methanol cal needs a tweak in the spoolup area. Have you spoken to eric about it?

I just finished playing with that stuff

I have a 49 with a restalled stock converter. The 0 PSI stall speed is 2450. It is just right. Dusty Bradford should be able to help you with this.

Many have gone fast with the stock downpipe. The thing you should change is the stock elbow. Look for a ported one.

These two things should make a big difference for not a bunch of money.

HTH

Dusty's 10" l/u would be a perfect match. Been in my car for 3 yr's now with no complaints.

I have not spoken to Eric yet I'll email him and ask. I don't know much yet on how to adjust my fuel/air mixture or my timing at wot in first or second gear. For what I understand is if I can get my timing as high as possible and no knock retard and the right fuel pressure my turbo should spool up faster. I will look into a 2800 stall 10", but my concern is the normal driving, how loose is the 2800 stall in normal driving.

What is your current stall at 0-1# of boost?

The 2800 will have a slightly looser feel driving up inclines and other situations where you load the converter at a low speed.

I don't know what my stall is at 0-1# of boost. When I leave the line I think my rpms start out around 1700 to 1800 and I start building boost around 2500 or so, not really for sure. I can't get the factory one to stall out. Maybe it is not the factory one. Is there a way to find out what the factory stock one would be and what mine is?

I don't know what my stall is at 0-1# of boost. When I leave the line I think my rpms start out around 1700 to 1800 and I start building boost around 2500 or so, not really for sure. I can't get the factory one to stall out. Maybe it is not the factory one. Is there a way to find out what the factory stock one would be and what mine is?

You need a scan tool to read rpm because the factory tach rarely works.

Foot brake the car until you see 0-1# of boost and get the rpm reading. The stock converter should be around 1600-1800. There are a lot of 12" converters that made their way into the V6 cars over the last 20 years that will only go 1400rpm or so.