What size BFG Drag Radial?

what will the 275- 50- 15 max out at in 3rd gear if its 1.00 and i think it is :confused: , i dont like to go in over drive and was thinking of the 60's to get the speed up some in 3rd so i dont need over drive at the track. I think at 5000 rpm it is 109mph with the 50's in 3rd.

what you think.

Depends on converter, If i dont lock my 3200 stall PTS, its 4950 rpm @ 105 mph witha 28" tire!.

well i'm only running 96 MPH (still stock) and am going through the traps at about 4700 with the 50's

I'd just go straight to the 60 series if I were you. That's what I did last week, mounted the 60's on the stock wheels and couldn't be happier.
Now I need to get to the track and see if they'll stick! :)

Go with the 60s, or 28" tall tire. I believe they just started making these in the BFGs. They will keep your rpms lower through the traps, along with locking the converter. I learned this from several of UNGNs posts. Search for those, there is tons of info on the subject.

Im concerned with the height of the tire.275/60/15 is equal to a 28x10 slick. I run a 26x10 slick . I also dont want car to have that monster truck looking tires in the back.

nitto and BFG both make 275/60 drag radials now. BFG's been making them since 1995, nitto just started this summer.

I've tried both the 275/50 and the 275/60 and the 275/60's are superior for everything you want a drag radial to do: hook up and run big mph. A 28" tall drag radial is proven to be quicker and faster than a 26" tall drag radial in a stock motor TR. 275/60's can be launched harder and won't over rev the motor through the traps. A 26" slick might be slightly quicker than a 28" slick in the 1/8th mile, but drag radials aren't slicks. With drag radials, improved gear reduction is way less important than the ability to hook.

275/60's will raise the back of the car a little more than 1", but most stock spring TR's sag in back so they may restore the rear right height close to stock.

There will likely be some frame rubbing in hard corners with whatever 275 wide tire you chose, when using the stock wheels. This can be minimized aluminum brake drums or very thin wheel spacers. BFG 275/60's are shightly narrower than 275/50's so they may actually rub the frame less than the 50's, though they look much bigger.

I have to agree about the 275x60x15. For several years I ran the 50 but recently switched over to the 60. Big difference going through the traps. Now the engine's not gasping for air. Even though the 50's look like they have a bigger contact patch, the 60's have a longer patch and more sidewall which is better for flexing off the line under big boost. I did notice that at least on my stock GN rims that if I get on it, say coming off an on-ramp, that there seems to be be a little rub on the drivers side. I will have to play with my airbags a little, I guess. I needed 7/16' spacers with the 50, but none with the 60's.

BFGs

275-60-15 - Drove both in the rain. No problems. But the BFGs are still new. Got them right before Bristol and drove down to Tenn. in the rain from Hurricane Isidor. Check around if you want the BFGs. They are on back order at most of the distributors. I got my tires from Summit Racing.

Try John a member of TurboBuick. You can get it for you.
John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com
AOL IM -> GNjohnny5 (get a live quote & no phone charge)

Artie